Wednesday, May 31, 2006

D minus 7

I do not expect there to be much notice of the 62nd anniversary of D-Day coming up in a week. But I have something to think about:

This picture is USS LST 1, the Navy's first WW2 Landing Ship Tank. She was made in Pittsburgh at the Dravo Corp. shipyard. I am trying to come up with an exact number for how many of the LST's that participated in the D-Day landings were actually made in Pittsburgh. This picture is probably from somewhere within the Pittsburgh region soon after the ship was launched. I would love to know if anyone has an idea of where exactly she was when this picture was taken. Some of the shoreline is fairly clear but it does not narrow it down much for me. You can click on the picture for a larger image.

290 of the 1051 LST's built in WWII were built here in Pittsburgh. My quick check of records tells me that none of the Pittsburgh-built LST's are still around, the last one was stricken from the Turkish Navy just a few years ago in 2001. However, LST-325 was built in Philadelphia and has been restored. Following some international cruises she is now berthed in Evansville, Inidana just down the Ohio River from Pittsburgh. Could LST-325 visit Pittsburgh? I think there are still a fair number of the generation that built and served on these ships around. It could be quite an event if she could sail up the Ohio for a short visit.

4 Comments:

Blogger John said...

No matter how many ships were assembled here, there were no doubt even more assembled out of steel that was made here.

Wednesday, July 05, 2006 3:16:00 PM  
Anonymous Bryon Shane said...

Chris, is the USS LST 1 near or about the Highland Park dam?

Wednesday, February 21, 2007 1:13:00 AM  
Blogger Sextant said...

LST 325 is on its way to Pittsburgh! You can track its movement here

http://aprs.fi/?call=lst325&mt=roadmap&z=11&timerange=3600

The home page for the ship has more information on the Pittsburgh trip and can be found here:

http://www.lstmemorial.org/default.htm

Oddly enough, I wrote an entry in my blog about my parents and LST’s yesterday and found out about the 325 coming to Pittsburgh in my Internet research. My mother welded LSTs at Dravo, and my father sailed on one from Saipan to Okinawa in 1945. I am very much a child of the LST program. My blog entry is here:

http://navfin.blogspot.com/2010/08/i-owe-my-existence-to-winston-churchill.html


Thank you for your efforts to bring this historic ship to Pittsburgh. I am looking forward to going down and taking a tour of it. The recruitment poster is priceless! I added it to my blog.

I have been wondering about the location of LST 1 in the photo as well. My guess is that it is on the Ohio down river from Neville Island.

Sunday, August 22, 2010 11:20:00 AM  
Anonymous Bob Pflueger said...

HEY that pic is taken from right under the Sewickley bridge. That brick tunnel under the tracks is the Sewickley boat launch ramp now. It looks like the LST is heading back to Dravo cause it's not heading down-river.

Wednesday, September 01, 2010 9:24:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home