Wednesday, December 20, 2006

This takes the (cup)cake

I really am beginning to wonder. Those of you who read Mike Madison’s PITTSBLOG know that I inadvertently coined the term ‘cupcake class’ in response to Mikes satirical* blog post about how Pittsburgh needs to work on attracting cupcake shops Pittsburgh. From that you get this in the media (from today’s Trib):

Getting a cupcake shop can say a lot about your city, according to lawprofessor Mike Madison and economist Chris Briem, who write about the local economy at "Pittsblog". They've speculated, semi-seriously, about "the rise of The Cupcake Class."


Uh, no. not ‘semi-seriously’. Not even semi-semi seriously. I mean, do these people get their news from the Carbolic Smoke Blog as well. And if you go back and read all that is on Pittsblog. What did I say anyway? I coined the term is all. Where I speculated anything is unclear to me. Poor Mike. They extend their reprint of this pseudo-comment in his subsequent post:

"Cities that want to compete economically in the 21st century need to attract 'The Cupcake Class': people with the time, money and taste to consume small amounts of upscale baked goods," writes Madison.

Makes you want to cry. In fact Mike actually posted a follow up blog-post explaining the joke to the satirically challenged because one confused person actually sent him mail presuming he was serious… but I suppose he felt it unnecessary for the 99% who understood the post and he didn’t leave it online.

It really makes you wonder. Note I have nothing but good wishes for all the new cupcake vendors in town. May they retire after their 1000’th franchise in Topeka opens up. I myself will continue to get the 50 cent specials at Paddy Cake Bakery in Bloomfield thank you.

lest I continue.. I will let Mike explain this in ever more precise detail here.

*Satire:
A work of literature that mocks social conventions, another work of art, or anything its author thinks ridiculous. Gulliver's Travels, by Jonathan Swift, is a satire of eighteenth-century British society



6 Comments:

Blogger Amos_thePokerCat said...

I wonder how they found it since he deleted it? (Ya, I know, Google cache, etc.) Hmm, actually, it is not very deleted at all. It is listed in an archive for Nov 2006

So, what is Mike just pissed at being quoted out of context? I, for one, don't get my jollies (even in this festive season) by throwing rocks at the Trib. I know a number of bloggers are former Trib employees and they seem to me to be a little bitter about the experience. Given the more serious talk about the "Custard Class", I am willing to forgive the Trib thinking that the "Cupcake Class" was at least "semi-serious".

Then again saying "San Francisco, New York, Chicago, Washington DC. You find growing economies. These aren't necessarily the hippest places" is obvious satire.

Actually, on a semi-serious note, by the time a trend comes to this hummble 'burgh, it has gone from "wired" to "tired". It could be another city slogan,, "Pittsuburgh, were trends come to die.".

Wednesday, December 20, 2006 5:54:00 PM  
Blogger Jonathan Potts said...

Actually, I believe the Custard Class discussion was also satirical. Some people took it quite seriously and were rather offended, though my memory may be faulty in this regard.

Wednesday, December 20, 2006 9:48:00 PM  
Blogger C. Briem said...

absolutely there was a lot of satire in the custard class discussion although maybe not as blatant. actually the 'custard' concept was more allegorical.

why is Mike upset? if that is a fair characterization.. Well... looking like a fool in the media tends to do that.

I find myself considering what this says about us that the poor reporter(s) never considered what the posts were about.. says something about the collective discussions going on in the region. Anyone want to bet this comes up again... maybe even some future politician advocating a policy of attracting the cupcake class. I have thought I would like to coin a new word in my lifefime.. maybe I will have to settle for this.

Wednesday, December 20, 2006 10:48:00 PM  
Anonymous andrea said...

Personally, I thought the cupcake class comment in the Trib was spot-on. Obviously poking fun at Dickie Miami, but it contains an element of essential truth. Since I moved back to Pgh from NYC I've been appalled at the lack of small high-end baked goods available, and I'm willing to be convinced the cupcake class thing is real.

Bring 'em on!

Thursday, December 21, 2006 12:19:00 PM  
Anonymous smittyfromtheflats said...

duh..satire....so is the Trib!!

Thursday, December 21, 2006 1:22:00 PM  
Anonymous smittyfromtheflats said...

Oh Marie Antoinette,such hardships...Opps I mean Andrea.
What a plebian existence...no small high end bakeries..no wonder all the smart kids move out...

Saturday, December 23, 2006 7:55:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home