Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Energy-Burgh down deep

An entirely new meaning for Energy-Burgh:  Researchers use drilling data to find a geothermal hot spot in West Virginia.  I wonder.. any other 'missing' hot spots out there?

A broad definition of the Burgh I know... but maybe something for our P32 folks? It is going to muddy the water a bit in the whole fracking debate.  Some of the news stories on this talk of using enhanced geothermal systems to exploit the find.  The enhanced part as best I can tell is the fracturing of shale at depth.

Update:  I used to read FastCompany... and if I had I would have seen they caught this last week. How Google Cash Helped Find Geothermal Energy in West Virginia

2 Comments:

Anonymous BrianTH said...

If they can cheaply export energy into Western PA from this hot spot, then it definitely seems relevant to me (I'm personally convinced that the local availability of cheap energy is just as important for the economic future of Pittsburgh as the local production of cheap energy, if not more so).

Tuesday, October 12, 2010 9:37:00 AM  
Blogger Jim Russell said...

Nice synergy between Google geothermal server farms in West Virginia and data needs in tech Pittsburgh.

Tuesday, October 12, 2010 6:21:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home