Tuesday, November 08, 2011

Downtown Retail Then and Now

I just note the small story on Downtown retail.  PG: Mayor's roundtable to beef up Downtown retail district

From the archives and my friend Jim D are the 161 pages of: Who Shops Downtown and Why? August 3, 1989 by Jim DeAngelis.

Though as I noted yesterday with some stats, I bet at least some of the great retail collapse, and the thousand fewer Mom and Pops in the region over the last decade,  is coming from Downtown shops.  I mean..  Honus Wagner closed!

Oh yeah...  VOTE!

4 Comments:

Anonymous MH said...

Maybe the downtown Barnes and Nobel would have made a go of it if the library weren't giving it away for free right across the street.

Tuesday, November 08, 2011 10:35:00 AM  
Blogger C. Briem said...

so what did Ralph's Discount in?

actually, the B&N was a discussion in one of the first posts here. I tend to think there were some other issues at that location as well.

http://nullspace2.blogspot.com/2006/11/bookless-burgh.html

Tuesday, November 08, 2011 10:39:00 AM  
Anonymous MH said...

Nearly all the bookstores mentioned in that discussion are now closed. I used to buy a dozen or more books a year just because I was always near a bookstore.

Tuesday, November 08, 2011 11:32:00 AM  
Blogger jwsmith1984 said...

I always thought the beginning of the decline of Downtown retail came when Kaufmanns moved its book department from the first floor to the ninth.

Thursday, November 10, 2011 10:35:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home