Sunday, January 06, 2013

Wanderlust near and far

WQED last night ran a local documentary on biking the Great American Passage from here to DC by local writer Robert Isenberg.  I guess I should have brought a video camera, but see our trip report from a few years ago.

and yes...   To map!  Points for the goat and sextant imagery in ink.

and more on a personal note, but the big bruhaha over names in Iceland is fasincating to me. It turns out that "Briem" is one of the few surnames allowed to exist in Iceland, though I can't begin to tell you what my Icelandic roots would be.  If they exist they likely come via some immigration via Alsace-Lorraine in the 19th century or before.  Many moons ago, my very  first web page was mostly of pictures of Iceland from a trip there, at which time I actually did not know the taxonomy of Icelandic surnames at all.  Some of the first unsolicited e-mails I received were indeed from Iceland asking about my unknown Icelandic-ness.

3 Comments:

Blogger Lloyd Stires said...

Congratulations on your excellent map article. Here's one point that I would add: The increasing availability of maps may encourage the growth of epidemiology and help us to appreciate the effects of the physical environment on our health and social behavior. As an example, check out Kevin Drum's Mother Jones article on the relationship between lead exposure and violent crime.

http://www.motherjones.com/environment/2013/01/lead-crime-link-gasoline?page=1

Sunday, January 06, 2013 1:29:00 PM  
Anonymous MH said...

Nice article. Are you branching out into book reviews? It's the first one I've seen in the PG in a while.

Monday, January 07, 2013 8:23:00 AM  
Blogger C. Briem said...

The first book review you've seen in the PG? or from me? Just happenstance for me.

Saturday, January 12, 2013 9:08:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home