Sunday, April 21, 2013

333 miles or bust

More and more news coverage of the impending completion of the Great Allegheny Passage.  Kudos to the folks who have been working for years now to complete the unfinished segment. Lots of folks working on this over the years, but I think some unheralded folks in Allegheny County gov't have been working hard to deal with the seemingly intractable path through Sandcastle. Years ago I even wondered whether we would have to resort to building a causeway around the park. And I suppose my idea of renaming the Hot Metal Bridge remains a nonstarter.

Now you have no excuse, and believe me if I can do this so can you.  Washington, DC awaits. Only 333 miles of peddling and you can be in Georgetown. I'll add that the more miles I complete, the more in awe I am of Pittsburgher (Bloomfielder in part) Frank Lenz. It was 98 years ago today that a letter made it back to Pittsburgh confirming Lenz's presumed murder the year earlier somewhere in Kurdistan (Eastern Turkey) after he had biked westward around most of the planet.

If you need more motivation:



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home