Monday, March 10, 2008

Two Pittsburghs... and then some

Mark Desantis has a remarkably brief retrospective on his Mayoral campaign last fall in Pittsburgh Quarterly. The theme: There exists two Pittsburghs. Really? There has to be more to say on how that race came down.

So just to practice some programming, here is a tool I put together with the results of that race with some interactive popup information. To match Mark's theme I put it into a stark two color motif. To bring it up: click here (you will probably need to allow ActiveX for the full effect). Comments appreciated if it works for you that is.

But for those who can't bring up that link, here is the image:


Blogger Burgher Jon said...

The little tool is very interesting. Where did you get the data? Does there exist anywhere a clear map of the breakdown of the city (the ward/district breakdown) laid clearly over a street map?


Tuesday, March 11, 2008 9:28:00 AM  
Blogger C. Briem said...

I dont see a street map and voting district map on the city's web site. I could and make one but I am not sure it would come out well. The election returns data is straight from the county elections department.

Sunday, March 16, 2008 10:09:00 AM  
Blogger Andrea said...

Talk with me if you want to build that map, Chris - we're working on it.

Curious in the meantime if you could do an overlay of this map with the City Council districts to see whose constituents are the least inclined towards the Boy Mayor.

Thursday, March 20, 2008 1:00:00 PM  
Blogger Burgher Jon said...

It would be a commendable effort, and even for less sinistar motives then Andrea's... I have not found an easy way of determining what ward/district someone lives in. I've got the Southside down by showing up to vote and asking the people at the polling place.

I was at an Obama canvassing event and there was a map similar to the one I'd like on the wall. Of course it was from the 1970s and isn't on the internet anywhere that I can find.

Thursday, March 20, 2008 1:32:00 PM  
Blogger C. Briem said...

I have the shape files for streets and it would not be hard to make some basic maps to do this.. but to make a nice graphic would take some time and I'd leave that to the illustrators. But I would suspect most funded campaigns have such maps, I just have no need to do it.. am surprised the BO campaign would need to rely on something from 1970's, I thought you could buy maps from the county elections division but that is mostly speculation. Maybe when I get time.

as for how city council districts voted.. I think I compiled that quantitatively at least and the results were not very surprising:

Thursday, March 20, 2008 1:45:00 PM  
Blogger C. Briem said...

hmm... I may try to add city voting districts as an overlay to google maps over the weekend. It could be interesting if it works.

Friday, March 21, 2008 7:03:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home