Friday, October 03, 2008

ethereal jobs

Yes, I know that the local unemployment rate ticked up 5/10ths of a percent to 5.6%. You can see the graph I put up last week to see how that fits into the recent trend here, or compared to Cleveland and Detroit in my arbitrary.

Something I don't quite know what to make of, but there still is this Monster Index there of online job recruiting and the latest data for September out shows Pittsburgh as the single hottest market they track. See page 10 of their full release. But to repeat myself, I am unaware of any research that has looked into what that index may really mean in the economy... but it is a different look at the local job market. Honestly it's weird because other than Houston, we are first by a long shot which is hard to believe. Makes you wonder if it says more about the prevalence of web usage in recruiting across different regions than something about the state of the labor market. But worth watching I am sure.


Anonymous Mike said...

Half a percent in one month is a bummer, though the national number is 6.1, so the region is doing OK in a way.

Did that report happen to list what kind of job were lost. In many states the jobs were lost in contruction and mortgage finance, due to the busting of the housing bubble. I imagine that it must be different in Western PA.

Saturday, October 04, 2008 12:09:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home