Sunday, October 12, 2008

old is new again

Just for nostalgia's sake (sorry Mike)..... but the neo-Kroger sign I came across in Tennessee cracked me up.... it's just not right.


Blogger smallstreams said...

I couldn't figure out what the blob in the middle of the four colors was. I guess it's a stylized America. The black color is all wrong. The sign, though, obviously got your attention, which is its job.

Sunday, October 12, 2008 8:43:00 AM  
Blogger C. Briem said...

I didn't even get the design element.. just thought the Kroger brand image ought to have remained frozen in time as we remember it.

Sunday, October 12, 2008 11:52:00 AM  
Blogger Bram Reichbaum said...

See, this is what Pittsburgh needs to do. Only we don't have a logo. All we have to change to break out of our brand rut is our name.

Sunday, October 12, 2008 4:39:00 PM  
Blogger smallstreams said...

The Pittsburgh/Allegheny County merger presents an excellent opportunity to rebrand ourselves. Calling the new entity either Pittsburgh or Allegheny would show that we might not have a partnership of equals. Allegheny, though, sounds mellifluous and has the environmental cache of being named after a natural feature.

Naming after either of the tributary rivers would seem to favor those who live closest. But the product of the two would be emblematic of our city.

Ladies and gentlemen I present Ohio, Pennsylvania.

Sunday, October 12, 2008 7:31:00 PM  
Blogger Bram Reichbaum said...

Unfortunately SmallStreams, "Ohio" conjures connotations of the state of Ohio, which I think is confusing and not necessarily flattering. I'd sooner use "Monongahela", though that does sound awful primordial and foreboding.

Just for it's own sake, I'd like to formally enter "Hydropolis" into the hat, though I suspect that's far ahead of its time. So I still support the mellifluous and the historically authentic Allegheny or Allegheny City.

After all, we annexed one of those in the past. Pittsburgh's chickens are coming home to roost.

Monday, October 13, 2008 9:50:00 AM  
Anonymous MH said...

Were/are there Krogers in Pittsburgh? I've not seen one since I lived in Ohio.

Monday, October 13, 2008 11:28:00 AM  
Anonymous Jerry said...

mh, there was one in Bloomfield, in the spot where Foodland -- err, I mean, ShurSave -- is now. I think if you go behind the building and look at the loading area, you can still see "Kroger's" painted there.

Monday, October 13, 2008 8:11:00 PM  
Anonymous MH said...

Thanks. Did not know that.

Monday, October 13, 2008 8:37:00 PM  
Blogger jtogyer said...

Bram, there already is a Monongahela, PA. They say Pittsburgh might have amounted to something if it were closer to Monongahela:

Wednesday, October 15, 2008 11:41:00 AM  
Blogger smallstreams said...


Monongahela's taken.

Allegheny's the name of a defunct city and a college and a university.

Nothing else to name it but Ohio.

I think Drew Carey would like it, and it would serve to heal a long time rift between Browns and Steelers fans.

I think it's a go.

I won't take any money. Just give me the credit.

Thursday, October 16, 2008 11:21:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home