Tuesday, December 30, 2008

afternoon reading

I figure a lot of folks may want to read this oped in the Financial Times on the nonprofit sector:

Sacrifice notion sabotages our non-profits. by By Sean Stannard-Stockton today.

Also in the FT yesterday.. how bad is it in the steel industry? A lot worse than the 80's when you look at the industry globally. See:

Steel output set for historic drop.

and something else altogether. Read about the plan for an interstate bike plan. The actual map being talked about looks to focus on actual roads and thus does not include the Great Allegheny Passage. You would think that would be a part of the backbone. I really doubt such data exists, but I wonder how many folks participate in long distance (interstate?) biking each year and how many of those folks are people traveling on the trail between here and DC.


Anonymous Vannevar said...

Love the blog. The bike network (Adventure Cycling) has been around for quite a while, it's for bike tourists (people riding on streets). The trans-continental routes vary - long and flat, shorter and hilly, there's a new route (the Underground Railroad) that passes through Pittsburgh.

They've been doing this for a long time, since well before the GAP-C&O Canal was available. Adv.Cycling has just started offering group rides from Pgh to DC in 2008 (I believe), and probably after a few years they'll include it in their network.

Most of the Adv.Cycling folks are bike tourists out for a significant adventure. I've always suspected that a lot of the trans-con riders are school teachers with June/July/Aug off.

From the Burgh perspective, we're beginning to see more people coming into Pittsburgh, even flying in to PIT, to start their ride to DC. It's an awesome trail and a real asset for Pgh.

Tuesday, December 30, 2008 11:33:00 PM  
Blogger Mark Rauterkus said...

We need bike lanes on roads. Bikes are wonderful to get to where you want to go -- as transportation first -- and recreation second. We, in W PA, have moved the bikes all too often to a winding road that is not effective in getting to and from places where people want to go. To work, to worship, to shop, to play, to visit, to build community.

Sure, I love bike paths. But come on already. We need to get the bikes moving along with the roads -- as is done elsewhere.

Tuesday, December 30, 2008 11:44:00 PM  
Blogger C. Briem said...

thanks for the note and I agree.

I myself tried to take a picture of my trip through big savage.. but I didn't realize I had forgotten to put the memory card back into my camera. So I have no proof of making it over the mountain. When it gets warm again.

think there are stats on the flying to Pittsburgh to start the trail out there? maybe I could get the airlines to cough up data on how many people pack bikes? I assume there is some special fee for that but I am guessing on that.

Pittsburgh is tough.. narrow roads and all. I wish I had a solution. I still am wondering if the 'bike path' through Bloomfield which I agree is symbolic in importance, might actually make it more dangerous for bikers and drivers alike.

Wednesday, December 31, 2008 8:51:00 AM  
Blogger C. Briem said...

Just a random thought. I think Larry Walsh is retiring (don't quote me on that, PG still has not put out any list of who took the first buyout)... but if true that will put a crimp on bike coverage a bit. I know bike pittsburgh has a rss feed but maybe the PG or Trib could put up some bike specific blog/rss online column.

Wednesday, December 31, 2008 9:05:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The loss of Larry Walsh would be bad for all Pittsburgh outdoor enthusiasts. No one else down at the P-G even mentions hiking, camping, cross-country skiing, kayaking, hunting, etc. Larry brought some much-needed attention to the bounteous opportunities afforded by the region all around us.

Saturday, January 03, 2009 10:35:00 PM  
Anonymous Saint-Petersburg Hotels said...

Well… round about every blog posts online don’t have much originality as I found on yours.. Just keep updating much useful information so that reader like me would come back over and over again.I really really wish this would work.

Thursday, May 05, 2011 4:46:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home