Saturday, January 31, 2009

Braddock Demontage

NY Times on that which we call Braddock: Rock Bottom for Decades, but Showing Signs of Life. Also 7.5 minutes of video go along with it.

Maybe I will comment more later, but for the most part I have said my piece. Some earlier comments and links to a Braddock documentary are in an earlier post. And as commented on by Potter at the City Paper, CBS ran its own bit on Braddock as well recently.

For some trivia and further proof that everything is connected in this town... what are we pointing at in the Cleveland TV news video mentioned in the previous post?


Blogger EdHeath said...

I'm still impressed with John Fetterman. I think if anyone person has the ability to turn Braddock around, it is him. But there is City Council he has to contend with, and the State detirmined status of his little city.

Still, he has made several good moves. A website for the city, bringing in Fossil Free Fuels, even his membership in the local Slow Foods Group. Even though he says that the most environmental house is the currently existing one, I think that is he tries he might be able to enforce rules that is houses are bulldozed, the houses that replace have to be small and built in the kinds of ways consistent with LEED certifications. If he could get some stimulus money or at least some federal dollars down the line, maybe he could look at a city energy setup using solar or wind or geothermal or all of them.

Sunday, February 01, 2009 12:19:00 AM  
Blogger East Busway Blogger said...

I'm torn. The realistic side of me says Braddock is done, cut your loses and work on revitalizing the rest of the region.

However, the idealistic side of me says good for John Fetterman. If nothing else, you have to give the guy credit; while local intellegensia go back and forth on blog sites (I can't include myself in that group because I'm not smart enough to be considered intellegensia)he rolled up his sleeves, and decided he wanted to try and save Braddock.

If he fails, most people will argue about why he failed without ever having raised a finger to help, at least he can say he tried.

Wednesday, February 04, 2009 5:06:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home