Friday, February 20, 2009

Only in Pittsburgh part II

So you can't believe all that you read on blogs. I recently suggested that County Councilman McCullough would be on short list of potential Republicans to run for County Executive someday. I also wondered why there had not been much news coverage of an ongoing grand jury investigation into accusations he swindled money from an elderly client. Given the news today that the councilman was indicted and arraigned I figure that does not bode well for any future run for office whether he gets convicted or not. But you never know. Can you be kicked off of County Council?

Politics in Pittsburgh is like a family affair. If you read the Trib version (which does not mention the origins of the story in a Dennis Roddy PG piece) you see that McCullough was arraigned by District Justice, former City Council President and counterfactual mayor Gene Riccardi... think about it, he likely would be mayor today if he did not resign his City Council seat to become a district justice. and who is McCullough's attorney? Cliff Levine, local campaign organizer for the President. If I were to guess I would speculate Cliff would be on the short list the Prez would be taking advice from on who should get the local US Attorney's post. Who is on the obvious list for that post has to be Stephen Zappala, the Allegheny County District Attorney. Was the grand jury investigating this run out of the DA's offices? I dunno, but that would be my guess. It's just that some days you think we all live in Peyton Place.

If he does leave council before the end of his term... you would have the majority Democratic County Council responsible for filling an interim replacement for the seat which according to the County Home Rule charter would have to be filled by someone of the same party. That could be an interesting dynamic. I'm thinking, could Dave Tessitor register as a Republican just to be allowed to be appointed? Maybe it could be Mark Rauterkus' one chance to hold an elective office.


and I can't decide if this is completely non sequitur or not.. but there is more coverage and some more screen shots being made pulic of the upcoming video game The Pitt set in a post-apocalyptic Pittsburgh. Don't ask me to explain it all, I don't know the details, but an anonymous commenter on my previous post on this explains the game or whatever it is and the Pittsburgh connections with the game developers. My own gaming days ended with... I can't remember.... it wasn't as far back as missile command, but it was long ago.


Anonymous MH said...

"Maybe it could be Mark Rauterkus' one chance to hold an elective office."

I'm not sure. Does Mark have any ideas about how to reform the property tax system? Because that seems to be an important issue.

Friday, February 20, 2009 9:47:00 AM  
Anonymous RoboticGhost said...

Here's a funny notion: Fallout 3 sold 622,000 copies the month it debuted and still sells well today. It's reasonable to assume a couple million people own the game. The Pitt will only be available on the PC and Xbox 360, but that's still well over a million people. Its possible that when The Pitt debuts next month, more folks will be running around in fictional litte Pittsburghs than in the real one.

I'm interested to see what the modding community is going to do with this content. They are a creative bunch.

/propeller beanism.

Friday, February 20, 2009 9:57:00 AM  
Anonymous MH said...

And I'll bet the fictional Pittsburgh has fewer potholes.

Friday, February 20, 2009 10:00:00 AM  
Blogger Lady Elaine said...

Don't be sad about your prediction. Who could have known? :p

Friday, February 20, 2009 2:22:00 PM  
Blogger Bram Reichbaum said...

I remember I tease City Paper editor Chris Potter because twice in the same year his paper featured covers in which I giant BIRD (in one case a Penguin, the other, a turkey) flattens the city a la Godzilla and wreaks havoc. If only someone were to design some art in which Pittsburgh was not destroyed, but created (animated? Frankenstein's monster, anyone?)

Friday, February 20, 2009 10:52:00 PM  
Blogger Mark Rauterkus said...

Just saw the posting.

I could be elected to office -- if I was with a D by my name. I stood for office with a "L" (generally) -- and that makes my chances much more difficult.

I do have proposals for property tax issues -- from assessment buffering to a return to a land-value tax.

Thursday, March 19, 2009 8:55:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home