Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Desperately seeking inflection

I have little today. Pittsburgh unemployment rate up again showing there is no escaping the recession completely. Detroit's numbers just came out... hitting 13.6% for the region there and a really frightful 22.8% for the City of Detroit. If you really want to squint there are a couple less-bad (since it's hard to call any of this 'good') things I see looking at the Michigan stats. Detroit's increase of 0.6% points is less than the larger increases of immediately preceding months. There are even some small declines in the unemployment rates in regions like Flint. Yeah, it's weak and probably an aberration, but when the recession begins to end it will show itself in less than obvious factoids like those.

Random thought #1: I rarely feel jealousy over things like this, but I have to admit this would have been cool.

Random thought #2: I am a little curious what other personnel changes may be in the works down at the ACCD as a result of the change at the top.

Random thought #3: 7 weeks until the primary.


Blogger Sheel said...

did you see this in the NYT? good stuff. how come all of the natl media just found us?

Tuesday, March 31, 2009 6:37:00 PM  
Blogger C. Briem said...

Ha... well, in this case I don't think it's fair to say they recently 'found' us. Christine is a local. But why her assignment editors and others have been floating the Pittsburgh story to the top of the heap? I think it's the story we've been picking apart for some time. One way or another Pittsburgh experiences in the recession to date are anomaloous at a minimum.

Tuesday, March 31, 2009 6:46:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm surprised you were able to resist commenting on:

based on your previous posts, this quote caught my attention:

"Across the country, Vallejo, Calif., just got permission in bankruptcy court to tear up its contracts with firefighters and other workers."

Wednesday, April 01, 2009 8:48:00 AM  
Blogger C. Briem said...

I made specific comment to that last week:


Wednesday, April 01, 2009 8:50:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, I stand corrected. Your 3/27 post scooped the 3/31 NYT article by enough time that it had scrolled out of my mind...

I always think of nullspace when I see Vallejo in the news, even if I don't remember specific posts.

Wednesday, April 01, 2009 8:59:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is an interesting take on the recession. You should join a recession forum or something and have your great say. I'll follow this blog, btw.

Thursday, April 02, 2009 4:56:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home