Sunday, April 12, 2009

Merchant Marine here and elsewhere

In light of today's news:

From the PG in 2004: Unsung Heroes of World War II: Seamen of the Merchant Marine still struggle for recognition. That piece actually spurred me to send in a letter to the editor which wasn't printed at the time. If I can find it I will append it here later.

Also, not to steal Jason T's thunder, but his brief history of the SS Mckeesport is a good read as well.

and while the threats have morphed the dangers have not. My father served as a member of the Naval Armed Guard in WWII.

and I know a few, though none in town these days. I wonder how many Pittsburghers are alumni of any of the Merchant Marine academies.

3 Comments:

Blogger Bram Reichbaum said...

Gotta wonder what the Admiral would be blogging about right now.

Sunday, April 12, 2009 6:31:00 PM  
Blogger C. Briem said...

COMBLOGFLT is out there I would bet.

Sunday, April 12, 2009 10:05:00 PM  
Anonymous CarolN said...

I'm in a community band and we do a concert at Rodef Shalom every year around Veteran's Day. We play "The Armed Forces Salute" with the Merchant Marine's song inserted-- there are a few Merchant Marines who attend the concert. So there are a few out there...

Wednesday, April 15, 2009 8:40:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home