Sunday, May 24, 2009

almost done

I was about to give my 500 word version of an election wrap up, but I realized I needed to put out some background before I get to that. So for the moment I will leave the figures below to speak for themselves. These are my estimates of the election results broken down by race. The graphs plot out each voting district by race and votes for each candidate. The figure at the end is my summary of estimates of what these graphs imply the overall results were for each candidate by race. I think I will leave them unlabeled intentionally. Does anyone have any doubt which graph goes with which candidate.?


Anonymous MH said...

I need a new field. I never get graphs that clear.

Sunday, May 24, 2009 4:05:00 PM  
Blogger Jerry said...

Very interesting graphs. The most interesting thing, to me, is not even election-related: I would not have thought there would be that many points in the middle of each graph. That is, I didn't think Pgh had that many voting districts that are between 20% and 80% black. There's still a lot of concentration at the poles, but I actually thought the city was more segregated than that. And voting districts are pretty small geographic areas, too.

Sunday, May 24, 2009 10:09:00 PM  
Blogger Burgher Jon said...

I know this isn't a political blog, but I'm curious how Dowd missed that this might happen and why he didn't campaign more for the black vote.

Monday, May 25, 2009 4:12:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dowd ran against Joe Preston in a majority black district in his first try for public office. When he was on the School Board his last vote led to the closing of Schenley High. Burgher Jon, I'm surprised he got any black votes.

Monday, May 25, 2009 5:37:00 PM  
Blogger C. Briem said...

True that voting districts are pretty small, but I am not sure the charts show low segregation. Race lines are pretty sharp. I have a map at the actual census block level which is about as much precision as you can get. You can take a look at that here. Most of the areas that show low segregation look to me to be border areas probably in the midst of change one way or the other.

Monday, May 25, 2009 10:28:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home