Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Beyond the Compass Rose

A flat world note for GIS geeks... I had to learn via Digital Urban , the amazing folks at University College London, about The Geospatial Revolution on Penn State Public Broadcasting.

I've actually been on a minor crusade to get Pitt to restart it's Geography Department which was one of the last academic departments to be formally disestablished here a few decades ago. Thus far no traction, but I believe it is an idea whose time will come. I'd be curious to hear from any alumni: faculty, staff or students.

and just a funny GIS note to end the day. An out of state visitor came to my office via rental car the other day. She got lost of course as is routine for visitors. I asked how and basically the answer was simply: "But I was using the GPS". Yeah, but this is Pittsburgh.

Anyway, enjoy:


Anonymous Jake said...

Hi Chris,
I'm a recent Pitt grad ('06) and was an Information Science major and (almost) completed a 'certificate' in GIS through the Geology department. I've noticed that GIS can be approached from so many different angles, Computer Science, Info Sci, Geography, or Geology to name a few. Figuring out where it fits is the tough thing, as even the classes were listed as either Info Sci or Geology

Wednesday, May 27, 2009 10:53:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home