Saturday, May 30, 2009

Detroit v. Pittsburgh

Folks are so focused on hockey and nothing but hockey that few are noticing the economic symbolism of Detroit v. Pittsburgh.

I actually believe that a lot of the recent spate of positive PR for Pittsburgh can be traced to a big writeup around this time last year in the Detroit Free Press contrasting the economic performances of the two regions of late. That story was: Detroit and Pittsburgh. Different City, Same Story. by Katherine Yung. April 14, 2008. The only link I see for at least the text of that article is page 15 of this from DCED.

update: Burgher Jon finds the cover story I mention in this link.

It was a big story for them. Top of the fold page 1 and really covered most of page 1 in its entirety including charts and graphs. I think it planted the seed for a lot of followup stories in other media. It was ironic that the Stanley Cup Playoffs came like a month later. If they had known that was going to be the matchup I wonder if it would have run. It came out just long enough before the Stanley Cup Playoffs that there was no connection. As I recall I had worked with the reporter working on that story for more than 6 months before it came out even, so it was a long time in coming.

But the Detroit Free Press has a really fun look at the rivalry today. You should read: Us (Detroit) vs. Them (Pittsburgh) -- now it's on. Study in contrasts shows why we're on top in the hockey world.

also today tin the DFP with yet another obligatory picture of a Primanti's sandwich. Do they get any copyright royalty from those photos?. Anyway, see also: Hockey rival's home is the Pitts. Cities used to be friends -- now it's on.

From me there is still my (now google enhanced) Rust Belt watch. That and if this story is really true, then I really would love to see stats on the spike in traffic today on the PA and Ohio turnpikes.


Blogger Bram Reichbaum said...

So this is a must-win series.

Saturday, May 30, 2009 4:15:00 PM  
Blogger Burgher Jon said...

I had an old link on my blog to the free-press article. They've taken down most of the text, but the cover page is still there with pics.

Sunday, May 31, 2009 9:23:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home