Wednesday, June 17, 2009

A little ahead of ourselves

I really can't quite say what this means... but at the rate this is going the recently announced web site covering the G20 visit to Pittsburgh: , is going to be far more elaborate than the actual G20 web site: Compare and contrast the two websites.

The new site asks for suggestions about the G20 event. I am not quite sure what kind of suggestions they want. Since they asked though, I say someone should cobble together some funding and get Christo here quick. Tell them Mount Washington is theirs to do with as they please. I'm serious, just imagine what they might come up with. I'm sure they're too occupied to do anything anytime soon, but even after the G20 folks move on and we have a publicity hangover it could be a project for someone to take up.

update: It looks like Christo does not take proposals, nor even accepts payments. In fact he says: "one way to make sure a specific project does not happen is to propose it to them". So I hope nobody mailed them this post yet. The fallback suggestion: Somebody invite Spencer Tunick to Pittsburgh.

We also may need to temporarily go back to the spelling of Pittsburg without the 'h'. Then the branding could be PittsburG20.


Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd like to see Point State Park's fountain operational by September.

Tuesday, June 16, 2009 11:14:00 PM  
Blogger Matthew said...

How about putting some pedestrian crossing lights along Liberty Avenue downtown? Is that really too hard to do?

Tuesday, June 16, 2009 11:32:00 PM  
Anonymous Vannevar said...

I'd like to have things both ways. First, let me be parochial, then let me criticize parochialism:

1. I'd like to see the G-20 bike trail completed through Sandcastle, with reps of the G-20 riding from the Point to Boston on trail.

2. I'd like to respectfully suggest that if all we do is heap our short-term agendas onto this strategic opportunity, we'll be playing AAA Ball in the Major Leagues.

3. I hope I got that last one right, I'm no good at sports analogies.

4. County and City announce a merger. Obama agrees to partially fund it as a Sustainable Cities demonstration project. The Fed baksheesh permits a one-time correction of the long-term liabilities that trip up a merger.

I mention Point4 because I think Regionalism accomplished through reduction in government entities is the strategic key to The Regions Future™, and if I could pick one thing, it would be a City-County merger with an input of external money.

Failing that, I'd like the bike trail completed from Pgh to Boston.


Wednesday, June 17, 2009 6:24:00 AM  
Blogger C. Briem said...

Peace in the Middle East or finding a way to put a bike path through Sandcastle... which will happen first?

I still figure a causeway is the only way it will happen.

Wednesday, June 17, 2009 6:31:00 AM  
Blogger EdHeath said...

You don't think everyone who uses the trail should not pay admission to Sandacastle? Instead of a causeway, some sort of bike and rider water slide.

Wednesday, June 17, 2009 6:43:00 AM  
Blogger Bram Reichbaum said...

Let's just clean up everything real crazy good -- and be ourselves.

Wednesday, June 17, 2009 8:22:00 AM  
Anonymous MH said...

"...and be ourselves."

That's never worked for anything.

Wednesday, June 17, 2009 9:39:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe we could turn OFF the signs at the top of every dahntahn building for a couple of days....

Wednesday, June 17, 2009 9:58:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Spencer Tunick?! Brilliant! Let him use the Sister Bridges - might make it his largest work yet.

Wednesday, June 17, 2009 2:08:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home