Friday, July 24, 2009

follow the beer

Can't not mention the piece by the PG's Chief Alcohol Correspondent on the diaspora effect on the future of Iron City Beer. I have to think that piece was held to coincide with the other news item today that IC production in Lawrenceville is now kaput. I still wonder... does Straub's claim the mantle of top local beer.

I've had some fun conversations over the years with folks who have different business ideas to capitalize on the vast Pittsburgh diaspora. Of course, on anything diaspora related you have to go check out Jim R's: Burgh Diaspora blog. It changes some over time, but the overall trends are pretty consistent... if you want to see my data on where Pittsburgher's move to you can see the or you can take a look at this report or the far better graphics in this Next Page piece based on same.


Anonymous DBR96A said...


Saturday, July 25, 2009 10:25:00 PM  
Blogger Infinonymous said...

I guess it depends on the definition of "local," but I think the award goes to Church Brew Works.

Church appears to be the largest brewery in Pittsburgh (and in southwestern Pennsylvania), and from there you'd need to go back a century and one-half to find any brewer other than Pittsburgh Brewing on those perches. If Pennsylvania Brewing Company resumes production on the North Side, it will take those crowns, but Penn stopped brewing here before Iron City abandoned the city, making Church Brew Works the immediate successor.

Straub? I like Straub, but
Great Lakes is closer and twice the size. Yuengling is a hundred miles farther away, but it is 60 time the size of Straub (one thousand times the size of Church Brew) and outsells them all by a wide margin in this region.

I expect to have more to say about Iron City Brewing (and its claim to Pittsburghers' affection) over at my place, but my sphincter-ripping machine has overheated, so I need to give it a rest and have it cleaned before moving from Yarone Zober to Tim Hickman.

Sunday, July 26, 2009 7:57:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Timely. I bought a case of Straub and a case of Yuengling Light (for the missus) yesterday. I won't buy IC anymore. Good job, Joe!

Monday, July 27, 2009 9:11:00 AM  
Anonymous MH said...

I usually buy Yuengling (for everyday) and Church Brew Works(for when company comes). I've never tried Straub.

Monday, July 27, 2009 9:34:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home