Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Unsung Local Movies

There is a relatively new blog out there: Pittsburgh Flicks, all about movies set in Pittsburgh. I think there is something aberrant in the web site code there, it keeps giving me various errors. Maybe someone can crowdsource some tech support for them, or help me I suppose if nobody else is having similar problems.

They have a list there of locally shot movies... I wonder how complete that list is. It does not have Achilles Love. (later renamed and rereleased as Road to a Greek Wedding). Any others that might be missing?

How do I know that movie was shot here? Why have I actually seen it? I swear Pittsburgh stuff just finds me, I can't quite explain it. Years ago I literally was in the Middle East and there was a satellite channel that just ran American movies. I somehow caught a few minutes of this movie that was unfamiliar and it occurred to me that the scenes were shot in Pittsburgh. That there was a movie set in Pittsburgh that I had not heard of seemed a bit incredulous to me so I kept watching. I wasn't sure it was set in Pittsburgh until I finally saw a friend from high school in the cast. I still waited until I saw the credits which confirmed it. Many have not heard of it, but it was a real commercial release with a NY Times movie review even. Think My Big Fat Greek Wedding with a cookie table. Well, not really but maybe that will get you to have netflix send it to you.

I'll add one more never mentioned, although it was a made for TV movie and may not count... but I remember seeing Alone in a Neon Jungle. Something about Suzanne Pleshette playing a local police commander, but I more remember she had this Mount Washington apartment in the movie which gave some iconic Pittsburgh backgrounds for some scenes.. probably the only reason I remember it.


Blogger n'at said...

No Gung Ho!? That would've been my first entry, if I actually blogged. Although filmed downriver a bit, it is by far Keaton's finest.

Tuesday, July 21, 2009 7:42:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I prefer "The Bread, My Sweet" starring Scott Baio as a biscotti baker.

Tuesday, July 21, 2009 12:19:00 PM  
Anonymous MH said...

I had trouble with the site at work but not from home, where I use Firefox and not Explorer.

Tuesday, July 21, 2009 9:07:00 PM  
Anonymous CarolN said...

Chris Chris Chris... are you still using Internet Explorer?!??!

Friday, July 24, 2009 8:30:00 AM  
Blogger C. Briem said...

not defending it in the least, but IE still has highest market share. I know some folks don't believe that.

Friday, July 24, 2009 12:19:00 PM  
Anonymous CarolN said...

Even more depressing is how few people know what a browser is :(

Friday, July 24, 2009 9:12:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home