Tuesday, August 18, 2009


I can't resist a little fun.

Yesterday the city made a splash announcing its iPhone app. I gave my thoughts on some of the concept a little bit ago in this post: iBurgh.

But wait a second. The new app is also called iBurgh. I can prove I had that name first, go ask Mr. Google*. Do I get royalties? Me and the Eat n Park smiley cookie deserve our intellectual property rights protected. I'd ask Mike if I had a case, but I probably can't afford his rates. Especially since the only relief I could ask for is attribution.. see the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 United States License there on the right. The city need not worry, the Null Space copyright department has no spare capacity to instigate any litigation over this.

However there is this little problem of the PA constitution. Isn't there an equal protection clause in there somewhere. Blackberry users unite and demand equal access to pothole picture taking.

I do like Apple blog lead on the new app: "Ask not what your city can do for you; ask what your iPhone can do for your city."

Seriously though, if the city is keeping its pothole complaints electronically, then it ought not to be a big issue to create maps as I showed from Cincinnati in this old post: Potholes 2.0

* Google had me listed over the actual app link on Apple for much of the day yesterday, but it has been moving down. So the ulterior motive of this post is just to generate a few links to push it back up. That's about as far as I hack google's ranking algorithms. And do I have any idea what this app was going to be called earlier?.. no. May have been iBurgh all along.


Blogger Mark Rauterkus said...

I was the first to talk about 3-1-1 services in Pittsburgh too. Bob O'Connor read the P-G as 3-1-1 was reported upon. Hey, that idea was mine. Later O'Connor would work to put it into place. Luke called it his -- "Mayor's complaint center."

BTw, I don't want royalties.

But, I'm still waiting for reverse 9-1-1 to come as well.

You know, more gets done when we don't need to get credit for it.

Tuesday, August 18, 2009 3:11:00 PM  
Blogger C. Briem said...

Joke Mark.... Joke.

Maybe we can rename it the Mark R. 311 line?

Tuesday, August 18, 2009 5:58:00 PM  
Anonymous MH said...

1-1-9? What for? Do not get.

Tuesday, August 18, 2009 8:44:00 PM  
Blogger n'at said...

smurphy had a "mayor's service center" with standard forms and a nearly 24-hour response/follow-up record. i think it was an unlisted 255 prefix, though...

119 was used in communist russia where trouble finds YOU.

//love the old meme's

Wednesday, August 19, 2009 10:22:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home