Monday, August 17, 2009

news roundup

NPR over the weekend on G20 coming to Pittsburgh: Pittsburgh, An International Background For G-20 Summit.

This is interesting. PFM is using Pittsburgh as it's prime example in pitching its services to Gary, Indiana. It's a very curious article in lots of ways.

I think just the other day someone was telling me bloggers were all just hotheads bloviating. I just smiled. Now there is a curious editorial in the Post-Gazette from Saturday on the nexus of blog-dom and the news: Blogger Nation. It's kind of curious as well. You could dissect each paragraph there for insights into how the media and blog-world are really interacting to date. Pretty clear they are not on the same page yet. I guess that would be a virtual page.

I have to admit I didn't get to NN at all, but I will throw this out there. It may be a detail too small for the historians to dig up for us someday, but I really wonder.... is the G20 coming here because NN chose Pittsburgh first? Not inconceivable. Of course, it will probably be a mainstream journalist who would be able to figure it out. Is anyone asking how the G20 selection really came about? I suppose we can just continue to believe it was all in the pancakes.


Anonymous MH said...

" is the G20 coming here because NN chose Pittsburgh first?"

The G20 is coming here because the furries chose Pittsburgh. The overlap between those two groups is tremendous.

Monday, August 17, 2009 9:22:00 AM  
Anonymous RoboticGhost said...

MH is onto something...

In other NN fallout news, Yglesias has a piece up about subsidized parking this morning inspired in part by his visit to Pittsburgh. I spent a little time yesterday afternoon mining twitter accounts from Netroots participants to get their impressions. Generally, they were very impressed and enjoyed the city.

Some select quotes:

Chris Hayes (editor of the Nation): Just touched down in Pittsburgh. My first time. It's gorgeous in an intense, industrial-age way.

Nate Silver: I hate to say it, but I'm generally feeling a less optimistic about health care after having some smart conversations today with some very smart people here in beautiful (not kidding!) Pittsburgh, where I'm here for the next couple of days for Netroots Nation.

Nerdette: Mayor Fetterman is so awesome, he can see Russia from where ever he is. (AND) I want to move back to the 'Burgh. :) So much exciting stuff going on here. I <3 Pgh

Basically, that's kind of the theme I saw. Some critical comments on segregation and the singularly goofy experience of driving in Pittsburgh (roads do not usually go where an outsider would think they would), but basically it seems like the Netroots people had a positive experince in Pittsburgh.

Monday, August 17, 2009 10:33:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I prefer to call the road network "European"... certainly is a lot more interesting experience than the soul-crushing monotony of clean grid systems in almost every other cookie-cutter U.S. city.

Monday, August 17, 2009 11:20:00 AM  
Blogger C. Briem said...

European.... Bring back the Belgian blocks!

Monday, August 17, 2009 11:28:00 AM  
Anonymous MH said...

Have you ever seen Ricky the Racoon and the Secretary of the Treasury in the same room? I'm just saying.

As for the 'European' road network, when I was in Europe, they didn't have potholes like we have. However, in terms of lack of parking and poor signage, we are very European. And people treat lane dividers with the same distain that Italians do.

Monday, August 17, 2009 11:33:00 AM  
Blogger n'at said...

iBurgh: we have progressed beyond blogging and into a new paradigm of bitching and moaning for the 21st and half century!

This is why they're coming. We're l337 complainerz.

Monday, August 17, 2009 11:58:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Lack of parking" is generally a good thing and a symptom of a vibrant urban environment. If you want an urban downtown with convenient and ample parking... try Parkersburg WV

As for signage... the City of Pittsburgh has rather excellent signage... the blue street signs with neighborhood names on them... the wayfinder system directing motorists to neighborhoods and attractions... it's much better than what I've seen in most other cities.

Monday, August 17, 2009 12:13:00 PM  
Anonymous MH said...

Anon: I'm not talking about downtown parking, I'm talking about the residential neighborhoods. Of course, you are on to something. I am grateful that it isn't as easy to park in Squirrel Hill as it is in Hazelwood.

As for the street signs, whenever I venture into unfamiliar territory, I usually have a great deal of trouble trying to figure out where I am because the sign is either missing, behind a tree, or otherwise impossible to read.

Monday, August 17, 2009 12:21:00 PM  
Anonymous RoboticGhost said...

Interesting article. The PR machine churns on. But the role of foundations and regional philanthropy are under-told stories. I work for a non-profit with chapters all over the country and have discussions with folks all the time about unusually robust the Pittsburgh foundation base is. In fact, I don't wanna name names, but some charities from other cities have been trying to poach grants from the Pittsburgh market recently.

Monday, August 17, 2009 1:38:00 PM  
Blogger Bram Reichbaum said...

On the blogger editorial:

"The condescension that many print journalists once felt toward bloggers is long gone, replaced by a determination to wed Internet-based technologies to the centuries-old discipline of daily news-gathering."

Many? Gone? Long gone? Okay aside from that...

It amuses me that what bloggers are said to provide of importance is technology -- not context, let alone soul. I hope there is a way to wed the discipline to which newspapers aspire with the purpose and urgency of most blogs.

Monday, August 17, 2009 1:39:00 PM  
Anonymous RoboticGhost said...

Oops! Bad link. Article Here.

Monday, August 17, 2009 1:39:00 PM  
Blogger C. Briem said...

Bram... I'm about to deal with that a bit more comprehensively.

Monday, August 17, 2009 1:46:00 PM  
Blogger n'at said...

I caught a few folks on C-Span over the weekend. They were airing both the Net Roots and the RightOnline blaggers that were in town.

While I could see blags as areas for print media to "think aloud" and publish multimedia or raw content that could not otherwise be included into abridged news articles, I don't see that we could ever completely remove the importance of print media.

Until new media can meet or exceed the permanence implicated in print, then the net and all it contains will remain ethereal and unsubstantiated.

Of course I state that with a certain irony; my only print subscription in the past ten years is to wired magazine.

Monday, August 17, 2009 2:47:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home