Saturday, August 15, 2009

Pittsburgh Population: day versus night

I really need to make a local version of this map of New York City. If someone has more time than I do I can provide the data.


Blogger n'at said...

... like you cant do that with the 3D bar charts in excel?

Saturday, August 15, 2009 4:20:00 PM  
Anonymous MH said...

Anything approaching that quality is so far beyond me that I don't even know what software to use. Maybe it's in those SAS modules I never use.

Saturday, August 15, 2009 10:14:00 PM  
Blogger C. Briem said...

excel can do 3d bars integrated with a map from an arbitrary perspective?

glad to see someone else uses sas, I've been feeling kind of lonely. Sas/graph may actually be a thought. There are some expensive products out there, but am hoping someone has a better idea, or the software themselves. I'm serious. Probably some Google Earth mashup I am unaware of that would be helpful.

Sunday, August 16, 2009 10:53:00 AM  
Blogger aothman said...

If I were trying to make something like this image, I would make it in Processing:

I think a 2d heat map is better for conveying the info than a 3d stack though.

Sunday, August 16, 2009 12:57:00 PM  
Blogger C. Briem said...

processing... I have beem thinking of another idea to present this data using processing... a dynamic plot of points representing density. Get the nighttime density to 'move' to the daytime density and back again. But to do the map like that? Way beyond what I could do with it.

Sunday, August 16, 2009 1:19:00 PM  
Anonymous MH said...

I certainly use SAS alot, but I'm no real expert on the SAS/graph. I have no idea how you'd get the bars on the map. Same with Stata.

I'm assuming the Excel remark was a joke.

Sunday, August 16, 2009 2:31:00 PM  
Blogger n'at said...

i was half joking with the excel comment - full on would have been lotus.

custom vba script could build on the standard cartesian plot area by assigning each bar value a northing and easting location of the geographic center for each postal, voting or other district. The district boundaries would have to operate as an overlay, i think. I don't believe you could supplant the routine for generating x and y axis gradients. You'd probably have to turn off that code.

Monday, August 17, 2009 9:23:00 AM  
Blogger C. Briem said...

and the answer is (I think): ArcGlobe exporting KML files for use in Google Earth. I'm there.

Too many tools.. Too little time.

Monday, August 17, 2009 10:20:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home