Saturday, September 12, 2009

Sound Collision!! and take Judge Wettick's blood pressure while you're at it

I sometimes wonder if there will be anything at all worth blogging.  So I just checked out the Wettick Watch (there on the right) and what do I see that I didn't catch from a couple days ago?

It looks like the county had a rather curious exchange with Judge Wettick last week.  I paraphrase, but first the county says the county assessor is rarely in Allegheny county and can't make a hearing the Judge has scheduled for September 14 (that would be Monday!).   I kind of understand that actually.  What sane person in Allegheny County would want to be the assessor here?  But still. 

Then the judge replies, again paraphrasing:  Be there! (see handwritten order at bottom of above referenced letter also pasted at bottom of the post here). 

The bigger question actually is who knew that Deborah Bunn was no longer the Chief Assessor?  Who in the world is Ed Schoenenberger?  He may soon become the single most important person in the state.  Poor guy.I have a feeling he will soon be spending a lot more time in his county of employment.  and the judge for sure wants to see him in person standing there before the court.  Hmm.

And there is a proposed remedy filed there as well.  Can't say this is any surprise.  Plaintiffs are proposing county be ordered to use the extant 2005 assessment values immediately.

To extend the nautical speak. the description of the relationship between the county and the court at this point:  constant bearing, decreasing range.

It says:  Order of Court   Request to reschedule is denied; the Chief Assessment Officer of Allegheny County must be available to fulfull his functions.  9/9/09   /s/

So the judge isn't willing to consider for a moment a delay of 72 hours.  Says a lot right there.  I really wish I had time to go watch all of this.  I suspect at least parts of it will be entertaining.

Beyond that, all I can say is: Groundhog Day


Blogger n'at said...

did you calculate monday by dead reckoning?

luff up the blog and attend to yer docket links, they're leaving my browser adrift...

Saturday, September 12, 2009 3:53:00 PM  
Blogger EdHeath said...

I had been wondering what had become of this. Assessments may still be the most important thing going on (certainly in the top five). I know that it is illegal for the City to use windfall revenue, but I can’t help but think they will try. If they do, it will be interesting to see if they go above board and petition the state to allow them the windfall to help pay for our outstanding issues (debt, pension and all of Act 47), or if the City would just try to sneak through.

Monday, September 14, 2009 9:30:00 AM  
Anonymous MH said...

My money is on 'sneak through.'

Monday, September 14, 2009 9:54:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home