Friday, October 30, 2009

election resources

Nothing new for readers here... but some past election stuff::

People seem to use my City of Pittsburgh voting districts in a google maps overlay.  Same for the remainder of Allegheny County.  But then you probably want to use the Allegheny County Polling Place locator to figure out where to vote assuming it's up to date. 

Some past election maps are here...   also here on our PNCIS site to zoom around interactively for things like the last presidential race.

Also I see Mattt's Demograph tool is still online allowing you to figure out what voting districts are relevant for your address.

And I have compiled historical City of Pittsburgh election data. (excel file... I tried to put into a google doc but it won't let me.. I think it has too many columns?)

I'm probably forgetting a lot, but 3 days and change.   Vote em if you got em.

update:  and I forgot this...but I had my own interactive map of the results from the 2007 Ravenstahl-Desantis Mayoral race which still seems to be working online here. So we will benchmark what happens on Tuesday versus that maybe.


Anonymous Anonymous said...

Any thoughts on the possibility of Luke winning with less than 50 percent of the vote?

Friday, October 30, 2009 12:59:00 PM  
Blogger C. Briem said...

given the lack of other big draw for the election it's hard to say who is going to show up. Sheer complacency could keep a lot of folks home which adds uncertainty. some say that hurts challengers which may be true in general, but I'm not so sure in this case. That and some feeling the race is a blow out may actually be more inclined to vote for a challenger. I have not heard of any polling this time around... so if its being done it's being held closer than 2 years ago. I'd be curious on any objective polling. My own observations of sentiment are clearly LR and that a lot of folks don't have KA on their radar at all... the race is seen as the mayor or Franco Harris' son as a nice guy, but not going to get their vote. Not meant as a knock on KA, but some decent chunk just don't know.

I also don't sense the sheer irrational factor of 2 years ago from folks who were absolutely convinced MD was going to get big chunks of votes that didn't materialize at all. Other than for a few blog commenters that is which is fine.

Friday, October 30, 2009 6:56:00 PM  
Blogger Tacitus said...


You may chalk a lack of turnout to complacency, but weather has had and probably will have a big effect come Tuesday:
mid 40's, overcast, and rainy--not good weather for an upset.

Still, here's to Docklin knocking LukeyR out of business.

Friday, October 30, 2009 7:13:00 PM  
Blogger joe said...

I can no longer vote in the city, not being a resident now.

But following the race from the North Boroughs, I like the way Dok is closing, with the urban farms idea, the
canvasing using Obama and MoveOn lists
, the YouTube clips featuring local artists (with funky City of Yes riff).

Win or lose, he's contributing to moving the city along with some interesting ideas and involving young people. If he turns them out, he might surprise folks.

Friday, October 30, 2009 8:01:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home