Tuesday, October 20, 2009

PA Supreme court race and more

John Baer of the Philly Inquirer reminds us there is a race for a PA supreme court seat, and why it matters. The impacts locally of the supreme court race may not be so obvious.  Potter has already hypothesized that the GOP might want there to NOT be an active race in the city so as to decrease Democratic turnout that could impact the statewide judicial races.  And I worry I'm cynical before my time?   On the other side I saw somewhere that the D canvasing efforts in the city are being labeled in the city as Ravenstahl/Panella efforts.  I think I actually have seen more Panella yardsigns than for any mayoral candidate.

Baer also quotes some source that says Pennsylvania is the 2nd most gerrymandered state in the nation.  Not sure the source of that, but certainly not surprising.  Go back to what I said some time ago that Pennsylvania was M(e)andering toward 2010.  I am still looking for creative thoughts on what PA-18 looks like??


Suprised...  most aren't although I saw no quotes from anyone telling us to expect it that Delta is decreasing its Pittsburgh to Paris flights from 5  per week to 4.   Let's hope there is no causality or else Ken should pay me to not take the flight because  I literally booked one of those flights yesterday. I was going to comment the prices were not the highest, but not the fire sale prices over the summer. I'll tell you something odder.. Pure specuation from the ether,but the blog here gets more and more regular hits here from a search in some form of "delta mini hub Pittsburgh".  I wouldn't expect it.  I still want to know an update on what is going on in Cinci.


See also the annual news snippet on school enrollment decline in Pittsburgh.  If you want, in the past I have posted the officially reported longer term trend.  I equivocate because if you look at that flatline trend until the late 1990's it really does raise questions and I have been told it was not exactly a solid number reported every year. It just comes to mind because the piece today is so unequivocable that "In fall 1997, the district had 40,181 students".   I really wonder, but now +10 years nobody is going to go back to parse.  When you consider how much Pittsburgh population was dropping consistently through all those years, especially family populations, you really have to wonder about that. If it was correct then there was a fairly amazing, and mostly unreported story on how resilient school district enrollment was through some tough times.  If the trend was not so flat then the implications cut a lot of ways which I have no time for. If that number was trending downward even slightly in the 1990's and before, then you have to interpret the recent aparent declines a bit differently.


Anonymous Ken Zapinski said...

Delta was announcing as early as June that it would be making deep cuts in its international network for fall/winter, when travel is at its lowest (http://www.eturbonews.com/9735/delta-make-deep-cuts-its-international-flight-schedule).

So anybody who is keeping up with business news (I don't mean you; I mean the folks who actually get paid to follow the news and know what is going on) shouldn't have been surprised.

Tuesday, October 20, 2009 10:28:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not up on my eturbonews.com.

Tuesday, October 20, 2009 12:44:00 PM  
Anonymous Ken Zapinski said...

"I'll take obscure industry news web sites for $200, Alex..."

Actually, it is a pick up of a Wall Street Journal article, which itself was simply a rewrite of a letter from Delta's CEO to the company employees.

Tuesday, October 20, 2009 2:08:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...


Your comment on a mini-Delta hub is interesting. Flying into Pitt Friday evening I was quite surprised to see four or five Delta planes lined up at different gates. I said to myself at the time "I wonder if they are expanding here."

It would be nice but doesn't make much sense with current hubs in Cincy and Detroit. As you note, I'll believe it when I see it.

We'll probably have to soldier on with non-stops to the 20 hub cities still serviced from Pitt.

Tuesday, October 20, 2009 3:38:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home