Monday, October 19, 2009

Paper on the News

So I admit it... I just paid $3.99 for the PG+ site...  my initital thought is that I don't quite get it, but I will poke through it some more for some nugget that would keep me hooked.  Honestly, if the NYT had continued its TimesSelect service I might have had to pay for that, but they gave up that concept.  Seems to me a tough harbinger of the difficulty of the pay model for traditional newspapers... but that was a couple years ago and maybe the media landscape has changed. 

Just something for general reading of particular interest to our fourth estate friends... another viewpointout there on the future of journalism. Worth a scan:  The Decline of News, The Rise of Connection and the Battle for Your Mind.... by Tom Paper. 

a)  that really is his name. and

b)  I just realized something that may be obvious to others already.. But are 'news' and 'journalism' synonyms.. I just mean, is the 'future of news' addressng the same issues as the 'future of journalism'.  Just something for the reporter-philosophers out there among us.

Also....  Governing has a post on the media "taking on local bloggers" as in the development of hyperlocal media.  If my thoughts are worthy anything, the hyperlocal news is the future of news as we know it.  How it all works remains to be seen.


Blogger Bram Reichbaum said...

Wow ... high school seniors circulating a "slut list"? That's huge.

You're right, "how it all works" is the issue, and it was something left out of the articles vis a vis the sites they examined. It's worth repeating that hyperlocal news does not grow on trees. When it seems like it does, I think that's actually an extremely unusual, idiosyncratic situation.

Tuesday, October 20, 2009 12:25:00 PM  
Anonymous MH said...

I still think that they should go with hyper-local news. For example, somebody smashed the fence in front of the synagogue that's at the bend on Shady just past the Alderdice. I'd really love to know just how you manage that given the steepness of the road. But it wasn't in the paper.

Tuesday, October 20, 2009 12:38:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home