Wednesday, November 04, 2009

Say it ain't so Joe (Weinroth)

What to say about the election?   who knows? Honestly the initial thought is something I first mentioned 2 years ago, but became a bit clearer last night. You have to give greater respect to the campaign of Joe Weinroth when he ran for mayor just 4 years ago.

Consider… a fellow with virtually no money, effectively no support from his party, neither public nor media giving his campaign much respect and having the distinct disadvantage of running against an uber-popular Bob O’Connor somehow came out with 27% of the vote in the city of Pittsburgh 2005 mayoral race... . I said this before, but you just have to wonder what he might have done if he had had the money or support or the general circumstances Mark Desantis had 2 years later or any of the things going for him that either Harris or Acklin had going for them this time around. He didn’t have to run against another strong challenger, but he did have a horde or minor candidates nipping at what might have been his votes. The minor candidates in that race nipped away nearly 6% in that election you have to remember as well.

Anyway... I know, kind of a tradition of sorts. Maps coming, but for now some parsing. Just using Joe as a benchmark of sorts I thought it would be interesting to see how the folks yesterday did comparing his votes to each of theirs by voting district. This is what you get.




Too much parsing? This is a more traditional breakout of the results by city council district.


Blogger Lady Elaine said...

Ahh Briem, your Rash Graphs make me want to scratch my eyes out.

What do you account for Dok's "strong" showing in Peduto's district?

Wednesday, November 04, 2009 12:32:00 PM  
Anonymous CarolN said...

Hmmm... one thing I'm wondering about is all these "over votes" in the summary report on the county website. I thought the iVotronics wouldn't let you overvote? Could it be from absentee ballots alone?

Wednesday, November 04, 2009 1:44:00 PM  
Blogger Crystal Eastman said...

can you do some analysis of turnout, chris?

Wednesday, November 04, 2009 3:29:00 PM  
Anonymous deegazette said...

Your post featuring Joe kinda flipped me out today. I saw him in my neighborhood (Brookline) yesterday as I drove down the boulevard and I couldn't help thinking what a good mayor he'd have been and how much I agreed with his plans during the campaign. I don't normally discuss my votes with many, but I was happy to tell anyone who wanted to know that I voted for Joe. Now, I will live with the regret of not having worked for his campaign, thanks to your post stirring the thoughts.

Thursday, November 05, 2009 9:29:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home