Wednesday, December 09, 2009

neverending political cycle

Potter first noted the political doings in the race for State House District 19 which is worth a read just to see what may be the magnum opus of local political verbiage.  District 19 covers Downtown, most Hill District neighborhoods, parts of the North Side, Beltzhoover and environs.  The interesting thing here is whether or not there is, or will be, any noticable political impact of the new Downtown denizens that everyone keeps talking about.  My guess is those new folks are unlikely to vote, but you never know.  Adds a wrinkle is all. 

I seriously want someone to fund a survey across Pennsylvania to see what percentage of folks know what state house district they are in or who represents them.  I bet either is a scary number.  So just to help out with that, below is an outline of State House District 19 in Google maps.  You should be able to click into Google maps to play with it interactively. 

View Larger Map


Blogger Miller said...

As for knowing the number, it is below 10%, perhaps way below. The percentage of people knowing who their representatives are should be slightly higher.

Wednesday, December 09, 2009 6:10:00 PM  
Anonymous Frankelberry said...

Like me. I know (or I think I know) that Frankel is my House rep. and Costa is my Senate rep., but the relative numbers escape, although for some reason 32 and 23, or vice versa, stick in my head.

How's that?

BTW, I'm expecting my Frankelberry muffins any day now.

Thursday, December 10, 2009 8:43:00 AM  
Blogger Grimace said...

If you live in Allegheny County you have a fighting chance to know who your reps are in state government if you go by last name only: Costa.

Also, much is made about the fights for Congressional districts and gerrymandering but that district really seems to be drawn up oddly, most likely to placate different political interests since it is unlikely they drew the map to avoid big pockets of opposing political parties.

Thursday, December 10, 2009 1:49:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home