Thursday, December 31, 2009

Siss, Siss, Siss! Boom, Boom Boom! Bah. Aught Nine!

Some end of year retrospection is the required theme today I suppose. I sometimes get asked what the purpose here is. In my head this is all still an experiment in a way, though now a fairly routine experiment I would have to admit. I really don’t have much of an answer other than what I provided once in post zero. So we will plod along here in a new year. There are always changes, and I bet this will be a year the whole blog-scene evolves in some way I am not smart enough to predict. The PG has a retrospective on some local past-future prognostications from 1995 which is worth a quick read. 1995 is now 15 years ago, but it was a period when the internet was emerging and you see a lot flow from that. Nobody stuck their heads out too far in that. If you want to deconstruct some much longer-term past-future theories check out these from 1950.

Many of you I know well… some I don’t know at all and many I come across and you tell me you read here. I thank you all. Just to let you know that you are not alone I will update the reader trends below. I get asked how many people read here and I honestly don’t know. Blog-metrics like user or hit counts are becoming ever less useful as people read more and more via content aggregators of all forms and for other reasons.

But taking this as a metric of some value, here is what the hitcounter tells me. I won't get into the reasons why these numbers are both over and under counts in terms of representing true readership.  I have no illusions that this is anything more than a moderate amount of bandwidth as these things go. I really am quite happy to expound deep deep in the long tail space. I am mostly curious that the trend here appears to be quite steady over the long haul.. Spikes in there on some days, but really no big jumps up or down breaking the long term trend for the most part.  Ignoring what our hybrid MSM friends get, I am sure this comes in less than Bram, must pale in comparison to PittGirl and I personally am curious how much traffic the sports folks like Mondesihouse get which I suspect is quite a lot… but this is the all time traffic count here for unique users per day since inception for what it is worth.


Blogger Bram Reichbaum said...

On average it looks like lately you've been clocking about 75% of my averages ... though my spikes are way higher. The night that Acklin went live with the Verbanac accusations blew the doors off even anything during the Pat Ford story arc.

An MSM reporter once asked me off-handedly, "Do you think the blogs really have an impact?" and without waiting for an answer, "I don't. I don't think very many people read the blogs." Which to me entirely missed the boat -- on any given day, you only need the right one individual to read you to have an impact. If the right dozen folks read you on the same day, you just caused a revolution. I'd say the Comet has a fairly high "right person" quotient, but in that aspect Null Space may have me beat by at least 75%. Too bad Google Analytics is lacking in that regard.

Thursday, December 31, 2009 2:55:00 PM  
Blogger Burgher Jon said...

While more social or sporty blogs likely have significantly larger reader bases then either the Comet or Null Space, they are likely not as Bram puts it, "the right people."

Both of you have established blogs that offer indispensable view points on the city. If I were aware that my councilor or mayor didn't read your blogs I would be upset (though I have a sneaking suspicion that Kraus does).

Thursday, December 31, 2009 4:42:00 PM  
Blogger Lady Elaine said...

Looks like a polygraph!

Leave behind comparisons of the other blogs and compare yourself from years past. You have built a reliable, steady blog that more and more people go to. That to me is what the graph shows.

Thursday, December 31, 2009 4:57:00 PM  
Blogger C. Briem said...

I think we will all be in a world of hurt when Mr. Google can tell us who the 'right' people are. :-)

Alas.. still planning retirement Bram? Your readers want to know.

Friday, January 01, 2010 4:02:00 PM  
Blogger Bram Reichbaum said...

Aye. Pushing back the major announcement and commencement of festivities as long as practical. It'll have to be some time this week, though.

Monday, January 04, 2010 3:25:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have you managed to make any money from this blog, Chris? Seriously, do you think it's had an impact on your earnings, or on your performance/output in your "real" job(s). It's a great service to your readers and I really appreciate it, but what benefits do you get, financial or otherwise? Bram's shutting down because blogging just hasn't yielded enough personal benefits. I'd hate to see the same thing happen to Null Space.

Monday, January 04, 2010 9:57:00 AM  
Anonymous Hotel Moscow said...

It’s great to read such topical writing on the Internet as I have been able to discover here. I agree with most of what is written here and I’ll be coming back to this site again.

Friday, May 06, 2011 8:48:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home