Thursday, January 07, 2010

Apps that you really should try

Someone thought my nabobism on the city's iBurgh App reflected some anti-App feelings.. or anti-Apple or something like that.  Not in the least.  I really do own an Apple Newton.  I admit I would take bids if anyone wants to buy it for a price reflective of the venererable antique that it is, but won't dream of parting with it if you offer me paperweight values. Seriously, no anti-Mac feelings at all.  I can prove deep Mac roots. Plug in "macintosh personal computer" into the keywords here.

But on Apps that have been working, I didn't realize that Routeshout is now an app as well as being a cell phone text interface.  I think they even have a new website:  Check it out. better yet, test it out if you are one of the routes it is implemented on. (I'm told it is implemented on all routes... so there)   Someday the Port Authority will stream out real time GPS positions from their buses (I can dream) that will allow Nathan and company to take their stuff to a new level.. but for now it still does a yeoman's job if you need a bus schedule on the fly.  Check it out. Should be some news stories on that.


Blogger nbguzna said...

Many Bay Area cities have these wonderful systems provided by NextBus ( that display when the next buses are going to show up (GPS-linked, I think), in a scrolling marquee at the bus stop. The result isn't merely cosmetic, it completely changes how you think about taking public transportation to accomplish everyday tasks.

Thursday, January 07, 2010 8:36:00 PM  
Blogger Burgher Jon said...

I talked a few months ago about a couple of the Apps that are out there and some that are coming. I think there is still a lot to figure out as far as where these apps are headed. So for now, I'll give Stern and Ravenstahl the benefit of the doubt and assume they're just waiting to see what emerges.

Friday, January 08, 2010 11:31:00 AM  
Blogger Matthew said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

Friday, January 08, 2010 5:26:00 PM  
Blogger Matthew said...

Not to toot my own horn, but...

[edited to shorten URLs]
Port Authority is very close to publishing more of their schedule data through Google that more apps like Routeshout can take advantage of, but, as you say, there is still work to be done on getting real-time location information.

Friday, January 08, 2010 5:34:00 PM  
Blogger C. Briem said...

sorry I missed the recent story or I would have mentioned it.

Friday, January 08, 2010 5:46:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home