Tuesday, February 09, 2010

from the weather desk

Waiting for Godot:  Accuweather Radar. (update:  the Accuweather version has a big 'ice' blob that is getting awfully close to us.  The Weather Channel version has an ever increasing swath of 12+" snowfall that is getting closer to including now including a chunk of us. It's sure looks like a pincer movement. 'NUTS!' we say.

I was just thinking... if this storm slows down a bit we're really toast.

and the Pittsburgh Parking Chair page on Wikipedia is filling out and has yet to be deleted by the wiki gnomes.  We need a photo!  Someone must have a classic shot of a parking chair in action.  I'd add in a picture of a Pittsburgh Parking Coffee Pot?? but I don't think I could explain it concisely. It would probably lead the Wiki editors to think the whole article was a joke. 

and I was just curious if the news archives could give me a number for how many city plows were operating in 1993, but couldn't find anything... But isn't this article from back then interesting.


Anonymous Johnnyg said...

I wish that I had a photo of my first parking chair. 1996. Some moron took the spot I had lovingly dug out for my Nova on Beechwood, where we lived at the time. It was those townhomes near the intersection with Forbes. In any case, a kind neighbor let me in on the parking chair secret. I found an old orange chair in the basement a previous tenant had left behind. It was a beautiful thing.

Tuesday, February 09, 2010 6:42:00 AM  
Blogger InsideAgitator said...

I feel your love, JG.

On my Saturday afternoon walkabout in Lawrenceville I spotted just the thing at 44th and Butler: a pristine spot cleared of any and all snow matter and one Classic Vinyl Upholstered Banquet Chair (the party purveyor Dean's has one in their window)proudly placed smack-dab on salted, bare pavement.
Unfortunately, I hadn't managed my phone memory and couldn't snap a shot. Anyone else spy this superb cultural signifyer?

Tuesday, February 09, 2010 8:48:00 AM  
Blogger InsideAgitator said...

Revision: Locale was more like
45th and Butler. Right in front of the car lot there.

Tuesday, February 09, 2010 8:49:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I woman was taking pictures of parking chairs--in this case, white plastic patio chairs--on my block yesterday. She said that a friend back home in England wondered why we were sunbathing in the middle of winter!

Tuesday, February 09, 2010 9:34:00 AM  
Blogger Ms. Monongahela, Ms. Chief Editor said...

You know, if CP had my article archived online I'd have it up already. I have LOTS of photos. But I have to dig through hard copies to find my article. And do you have any idea how many hard copies of CP I have? (Think Andy Warhol ... )

Tuesday, February 09, 2010 10:07:00 AM  
Blogger illyrias said...

Check out the latest twitter hashtag: #parkingchair

Tuesday, February 09, 2010 10:41:00 AM  
Blogger Jim Russell said...

Parking chair backlash in Baltimore.

Tuesday, February 09, 2010 11:49:00 AM  
Blogger n'at said...

This argument has been around since the New World was "founded." Sweat Equity vs. Common Stewardship. I still don't understand why people erect fences...

Tuesday, February 09, 2010 1:03:00 PM  
Anonymous MH said...

Here is another article on the parking chair. I think more cites = less chance of deletion.

Tuesday, February 09, 2010 8:13:00 PM  
Anonymous MH said...

Was your parking chair picture on the Wiki article from Beechwood just before the Browns Hill Road intersection?

Wednesday, February 10, 2010 11:03:00 AM  
Blogger Ms. Monongahela, Ms. Chief Editor said...

The wiki gnomes got me. And for a "facebook" link I didn't post. Oh, I'll be back ...

Wednesday, February 10, 2010 12:27:00 PM  
Blogger Ms. Monongahela, Ms. Chief Editor said...

A bot, technically. For a link that I didn't even put in there ... oh well.

Wednesday, February 10, 2010 12:53:00 PM  
Blogger C. Briem said...

wow... bots really don't like you?

Wednesday, February 10, 2010 2:21:00 PM  
Blogger Ms. Monongahela, Ms. Chief Editor said...

I know. Hard to imagine. Meantime, I did manage to get two legit references for "retribution" in there. Still digging in my archives. (No heat in that room down there ... )

Thursday, February 11, 2010 8:37:00 AM  
Anonymous MH said...

I just drove to Oakland and had a scary thought. Maybe Costa did know what he was doing.

Thursday, February 11, 2010 8:39:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home