Sunday, February 14, 2010

Three Rivers Stadium lives

OK, clearly we all have cabin fever at this point... that is the only reason I figure anyone found this. Just a bizarre observation from Joe on what Microsoft thinks PNC park looks like.  I almost didn't believe it, but I had to install Bing maps to see it myself.  It's like they mashed PNC Park, Three Rivers, maybe even some elements of Heinz field all into one structure.  At different resolutions it actually appears more correctly.  Curious.


Blogger joe said...

definitely cabin fever...found myself at PNC Park after watching Blaise Aguera y Arcas's TED talk on "augmented-reality maps" - what will these photosynths and "crowd sourced imagery" (on the spot video) mean for how we watch sports?

Bing Maps looks smoother than Google Earth and its street level "orbs" (which are pretty cool too).

While we're time traveling & revisiting Three Rivers, check out this 18 second mash-up tribute to Mayor Caliguiri.

Sunday, February 14, 2010 9:40:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You might have been punk'd Chris. PNC Park looks fine to me in the Bing Maps. Thanks for the link though. I just read something last week saying how much better Bing is than Google maps. First time I've checked out Bing. It is much better--more recent satellite pictures, sharper close-ups. Not as many Pittsburgh street views however, but what is there is sharper.

Monday, February 15, 2010 9:22:00 AM  
Blogger C. Briem said...

Joe would do that to me? :-) I suspected there was something wrong with someone's autocad file. ha.

Monday, February 15, 2010 10:06:00 AM  
Blogger C. Briem said...

I dunno. At certain scales I really do see three rivers there. But at larger or smaller scales not. I just went in straight from a different machine and zoomed in.

Monday, February 15, 2010 10:09:00 AM  
Blogger joe said...

at 500 ft & 250 ft elevation it's right there, then it disappears like Enrique Romo in 1983...

Monday, February 15, 2010 10:14:00 AM  
Blogger C. Briem said...

I'm kind of guessing this may be some intentional marketing idea... something like they can spark some viral talk about all that is hidden in there somewhere. Just a thought.

Monday, February 15, 2010 10:49:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home