Thursday, March 18, 2010

Shrink what?

Way too serious of late. So a dumb question.  At the risk of promoting some viral thing I just have to ask this.  Anyone notice the billboard on the corner of 16th and Liberty in the Strip District advertising a web site  It's been there for a long time as best I recall.   The problem is that the web site goes nowhere and as best I can tell is registered by a domain name aggregator is all.  Does not seem to be some virus trap or novel marketing idea?   Am I missing something obvious.  Someone has been paying Lamar for a prime billboard for some time? 

Which sparks the stray neuron of course.  What is the status of this?  The last news per that link sounded like some legal limbo.... which I suppose is an improvement over the legal purgatory where it was for so long in the past. 

But on the mysterious billboard....  I've been meaning to take a picture, just as proof I wasn't making this up, but I keep forgetting. The only evidence of this billboard or site I can find is this picture on flikr.   That's the billboard.  Let's call it the Seinfeld billboard.  Mr. Google tells me nothing which is weird in itself.  Google knows everything I thought.

Maybe the edge of the Strip District is like the Twilight Zone of billboards.


Blogger Bram Reichbaum said...

My assumption was that Shrinkulate was some sort of debt consolidation service. You know, "get a fresh start for one manageable monthly payment." That wasn't an educated assumption.

On THE billboard, my assumption is that the City and the vendor have agreed to situate that dispute in a cozy legal limbo that entitles both parties to continue saying, "I can't get specific on that because it's a matter of pending litigation." This also means that the LED screen which is integral to the building's design and critical to energizing Downtown's northwest "node" and making Downtown a success will remain switched off, halfway constructed, and a monument to Luke's mistake.

Thursday, March 18, 2010 9:46:00 PM  
Blogger JenEngland said...

Lamar's practice is also to leave a poster on a billboard even if the client's rental period is over until someone else purchases the space. Its kind of hard to imagine that spot being unrented because it is, as you say, prime real estate, but its possible.

Thursday, March 18, 2010 10:05:00 PM  
Blogger C. Briem said...

I think Bram must have an omnimedia filter out there for anything that starts with "Lamar..."

the thing is I can find no evidence there ever was any entity associated with 'shrinkulate'... just odd.

Thursday, March 18, 2010 11:38:00 PM  
Blogger Epanastrophe said...

Huh. I had always assumed it was from one or the other of the utility companies....

Thursday, March 25, 2010 2:16:00 PM  
Blogger JRoth said...

Betraying my biases, I guess, but I had assumed an Owens-Corning product, based on the pink color and the hint of "insulate." The "shrink" perhaps referring to some sort of housewrap that shrinks for tightness? I'll admit that it has puzzled me.

I'm kind of shocked that there's no internet presence or even residue. Weird weird.

Monday, March 29, 2010 11:34:00 AM  
Blogger Heather said...

I do in fact have a picture of this billboard (I took it so I'd remember to look it up) and I finally got around to looking it up.
To my dismay the website/url is not even existent. What the heck is up with that? So much for trying to Shrinkulate some energy bills huh?!

Wonder why someone is paying to advertise a false website on a billboard. I didn't think billboards were cheap to lease/rent etc.

Oh well I guess... wish I could upload my pic for proof... haha =)

Monday, April 19, 2010 1:40:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home