Sunday, June 27, 2010

Cleveburgh Notes: So close and yet... so close

So I like to read the Cleveland news, mostly the Plain-Dealer's site.  Often there are a lot of snippets important to us that don't quite make it to ink down here.  What I caught today was a first.  While I had seen some airport specific ads from Pittsburgh placed in Cleveland markets last year, for the first time I saw a more general ad trying to entice Clevelanders to come and visit Pittsburgh. Just interesting is all.

Not quite sure the theme comes across as it should:  "Be amused?"  They want Clevelanders to laugh at us?

Speaking of Cleveland.  Neat idea they have of a tech summit to help nonprofits:  Cleveland software firm holding 'tech camp' to help nonprofits with websites. That and they have a lot of Giant Eagle advertisements up there these days it seems.  Must feel just like the 'Burgh. We even share baseball misery these days. Note where that story says the Indians fell to 5-21 over the last three years when playing National League teams.  Are all 5 of those wins against the Pirates?

There are a few Cleveland events that geography prevents us from emulating.  If I wasn't going to be out of town I would head up to the Cleveland Tall Ships festival in a few weeks.  I think someone should devise a music showdown between our symphony and the always world ranked Cleveland symphony.  I'm thinking something like Charlie Daniels and the devil.  I bet that would generate tickets sales.


Anonymous MH said...

Cleveland also has a railroad to the suburbs more extensive than day dreams of Pittsburgh train fans. Of course, it only exists to look at scenery.

Sunday, June 27, 2010 10:09:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's funny. I remember a few years back when the Kennywood folks cried big crocodile (to continue your Australia thoughts) tears about how much they needed the Mon-Fayette Expressway because out-of-towners supposedly couldn't find their way to the park after leaving I79. Guess Cleveland drivers are smarter than we think.

Monday, June 28, 2010 9:06:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home