Tuesday, July 27, 2010

How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Drilling

I personally do wonder a bit whether all the news attention to natural gas issues is driving more attention than is normal for some things.  Take for instance this news item yesterday about a guy in Butler County burned when he opened a water pump on his property.  I guess that is actually almost lost in all the other related news out there, but is it a normal occurance? The news item says there were no permitted gas wells near the scene. Quite a coincidence that it happened, or maybe that it was noticed by the media, just after the Gasland movie came out or all the related natural gas news going around. 

We do live with a lot of natural gas around and there have been some big blasts in the past caused by leaks and seepage of various causes.  Just got me wondering what the biggest blast ever was in the region.  I don't know if this was the biggest, but disturblingly close to where I spend my days was this blast on the campus at Pitt 35 years ago that leveled a building and killed 2 people.  No fault of Pitt by the way. Looks like the university building was impacted by a leaking main line that just happened to be nearby.  From reading the story, it appears to be luck that classes had recently let out or else it sounds like it could have made this Wikipedia list.

Can we make a local version of that list though?  Any bigger blasts?

Speaking of natural gas though, just an interesting link.  Some interesting stuff beyond what is generally being repeated on all sides is some of the discussion in this site which I just came across:  Natural Gas Forum for Landowners. Certainly a lot of posts and some interesting stuff popping from the discussions I see there.  I didn't quite realize there is a competition of sorts between shale gas and liquified natural gas (LNG) .  Also something I have wondered about is the future distribution of this tsunami of natural gas we are going to be producing here.  See some related news from Louisiana on that. Also, whatever your view of frak'ing is consider what had been considered in the past toward the same end.  Leaves you a bit speechless.


Anonymous BrianTH said...

My understanding is that there have been considerable investments in LNG terminals and west-to-east pipelines that may never turn a profit because of shale gas. Meanwhile, there have been lots of stories about new investments in bringing shale gas to the big eastern population centers, and also the liquids to midwestern and eastern petrochemical firms--aparently we are already approaching capacity.

What I wonder is if in the long run, some people and firms will come to the gas, as opposed to the other way around.

Tuesday, July 27, 2010 8:09:00 AM  
Blogger DaveP said...

Chris, Councilman Patrick Dowd is hosting a Marcellus Shale discussion panel on Thursday evening at the teamsters building in Larryville (http://www.city.pittsburgh.pa.us/district7/assets/10_marcellus_shale_panel.pdf). It should be interesting. I was hoping to go along with my dad, who is trying for research purposes to get a sense of how the public dialog surrounding shale is proceeding, but he's got other meetings. Any plans to attend?

Tuesday, July 27, 2010 9:55:00 AM  
Blogger Vannevar said...

Nice title. Who would be the Dr. Strangelove of the Marcellus Shale version?

Tuesday, July 27, 2010 7:01:00 PM  
Blogger C. Briem said...

shh... this blog isn't about economics.. It's really an elaborate test on popular culture. And anyway, I figure most reading are born after the Day After came out and have moved on from our Cold War hangups.

Dave (jr?).. I'll see what I can. I do I not sure it is anything knew of.  But the thing about potential drilling in Lawrenceville is I don't quite get the interest now.  When I first posted the solicitations I was getting over a last fall, it was months after I actually started getting them,   Those Dale solicitations were not even the first one I received.  There was another company months before that that first attempted to get into the area, but I guess backed out. I actually suspect the actual industry interest in the area has waned just given how much they have to still drill elsewhere in the state.  Now Lincoln Place and environs is anther story.

Wednesday, July 28, 2010 8:03:00 AM  
Anonymous MH said...

And anyway, I figure most reading are born after the "Day After" came out....

I never saw that one, but I do remember the one where the Soviets invaded and the guy from Spencer for Hire had to emote about it.

Wednesday, July 28, 2010 9:46:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home