Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Gourmet Cheese R Us

I'm not quite sure they liked it.  I think their summary is "lively and annoying", but check out the Boston Globe's review of Carl Kurlander's movie: My Tale of Two Cities.  The subtitle is: Pitt bull aplenty in hometown boy’s film.

I'll stop there, but I have a longer post in me on how the whole Pittsburgh story can be seen in how the city has been portrayed in movies and TV.  25 years ago we were incognito in Hill Street Blues.  Now we are the briefly run CBS series Three Rivers. No, I'm not ignoring the past-is-present Lighting Over Braddock, but allow me a moment of non-nabobism. 

Honestly I can't comment on the movie or the Boston Globe's review with any objectivity though I think they took it a bit too seriously.  I just can't imagine how a non-Pittsburgher sees that movie compared to those of us who live it ourselves.  I knew too many people in the movie, and lived too much of it myself to really watch it for fun.  The whole movie was like the Pittsburgh two degree rule on videotape.  Without the secret decoder ring it must have come across as a bit quirky.


Blogger Bram Reichbaum said...

I'm still trying to get my brain around, "schlubbier than Michael Moore".

Wednesday, July 28, 2010 8:53:00 PM  
Anonymous BrianTH said...

I haven't seen the movie so can't comment on those specific issues, but I do think it is interesting that the conventional wisdom on Pittsburgh is now sufficiently positive that it is considered "specious" to imply Pittsburgh is "going down the tubes".

Thursday, July 29, 2010 9:11:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The movie fell apart in the second half when it became all about Kurlander and his contrived, forced efforts to wring some viewer empathy out of his psychodrama with his wife. The more he tried to get me to care about his self-inflicted, almost imaginary predicament, the more I thought, Who cares?

Thursday, July 29, 2010 9:16:00 AM  
Anonymous MH said...

to imply Pittsburgh is "going down the tubes".

Sienna Miller implied Pittsburgh was what blocks the tubes.

Thursday, July 29, 2010 9:18:00 AM  
Anonymous BrianTH said...

Poor Ms. Miller has been forced to repeatedly "clarify" and apologize for that comment. I sympathize because it can be tough for outsiders to understand that only natives are allowed to disparage the Burgh in such terms.

Thursday, July 29, 2010 11:00:00 AM  
Anonymous MH said...

I'm not really mad a Ms. Miller. I'm doing my best to get back at Jude Law for that movie where he flew an airplane in front of CGI for six hours.

Thursday, July 29, 2010 11:04:00 AM  
Blogger Junda Xu said...

20160324 junda
coach outlet
hermes uk
toms shoes
louis vuitton borse
hollister clothing
instyler max
fitflops sale clearance
asics gel nimbus
michael kors outlet online
kate spade outlet
supra for sale
coach outlet online
michael kors outlet online
adidas shoes uk
oakley sunglass
ray ban sunglasses outlet
levis jeans
christian louboutin
ferragamo shoes
coach outlet online
jimmy choo outlet
air force 1
prada bags
coach factory outlet
canada goose outlet
reebok pump
adidas trainers
coach factory outlet
michael kors handbags
pandora charms
asics shoes
burberry outlet
under armour outlet
cheap ray ban sunglasses
ugg boots
ralph lauren pas cher
armani watches

Wednesday, March 23, 2016 9:19:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home