Thursday, September 02, 2010

But for Bellevue's Bakery

I read Jonathan's piece in the PG on Bellevue's Bakery.

Reminds me of several things...  dare I mention cupcakes?  But in that old post I did put together a benchmarking of bakeries per capita across the US.   I don't think newer data is out just yet to update that graphic, but I will have to add that to the to do list when it comes out. Funny though.  In a world where people have studied everything, go to google and plug in "Bakeries per capita" and  you don't get much.  Lots of places claiming to be the bakery capital of the world, but not much data to back those claims up wherever.

Semi-seriously though, I do suspect that the bakeries among us are a dwindling breed.  Neighborhood bakeries used to be far more the norm than today.  Probably because of all the prepackaged ho-ho's we consume if nothing else.  

Anyway, this is what I came up with a few years ago:

I guess I need to get my colleague Bob to map all the bakeries in town. In a perfect data world I would map out the changes in bakeries over time. 


Anonymous MH said...

Lately, I've been seeing new frozen yogurt places, which makes me wonder if 1993 is happening again.

Thursday, September 02, 2010 10:59:00 AM  
Blogger Mike Madison said...

Hypothesis: It's the custard, Chris. The persistence of monoflavored custard filled pastries leads to the demise of local bakeries and donut shops in favor of cupcakes and, yes, FroYo.

Thursday, September 02, 2010 3:35:00 PM  
Anonymous MH said...

That and Dunkin Donuts are now everywhere I look.

Thursday, September 02, 2010 4:12:00 PM  
Blogger C. Briem said...

'monoflavored custard' is redundant. :-)

Thursday, September 02, 2010 4:49:00 PM  
Anonymous MH said...

Custard swirl?

Thursday, September 02, 2010 4:59:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home