Tuesday, September 07, 2010

How do you spell ARBITRAGE?

So here are some headlines from way out west.   In the Vindy: Youngstown's new contract for natural gas drops price below $6.

or I like this news item out of Akron: Betty's out to beat rate for last year. Can you?  Sounds like Betty has several choices to choose from there in Akron.  Some down to $5.99mcf.

Both relate to story I mentioned last week out of Cleveland: Natural gas price war breaking out in Ohio

Looking for that price war myself and what great deals I myself would be getting for natural gas here in the great state of Pennsylvania... home to all the new Marcellus Shale generated supply that is clearly benefiting the consumers in Ohio it seems. Just a coincidence I suppose, but I just now realized I received my own version of a natural gas rebate in the mail recently.  Looking at the details I see that one natural gas provider is indeed offering me a great deal. An 'End of Summer Natural Gas sale' it says. Cool beans!  What big discount am I going to be offered for the coming year?  Looks like I can keep my current price ($8.99mcf)* for the whole next year guaranteed. So not just through heating season, but 12 months of savings.  A great deal that prevents me from having to pay those 'winter' prices which the solicitation says "always go up".  Isn't it a great thing this natural gas competition in Pennsylvania?  I am thankful the gas company is looking after my well being and offering such sage investment advice.. and it is investment advice after all isn't it?

*Update: You know... trying and failing at humor I may be.. but it's worse than it seems.  The special 'summer' price I am being offered is actually higher than I am paying now.  By a fair bit even. 

So I would like to publicly thank them for offering such a good deal.   Then I am calling Betty.


Anonymous The Wiz said...

I guess you are saying you are for deregulation so that you could buy your gas from any supplier, including out-of-state suppliers.

If there were several suppliers in s free market system, perhaps you would be getting offers below $6/CFM. Maybe well below.

Tuesday, September 07, 2010 10:11:00 AM  
Anonymous MH said...

The only thing stopping you from arbitrage right now is fear of dying in a horrible fire.

Tuesday, September 07, 2010 2:13:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home