Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Metablogging or meta real estate or just meta rambling

What do we care about here?  Some modicum of public transparency of course.  Real estate is of course a common interest here given its importance to the regional economy and of course my interest in all things urban.  Who reads here?  If you exclude MH, and the Wiz, the most common readers of this blog are collectively a host of law firms, or law-related entities out there. Never quite figured out why that is, though after reading Chris Potter's latest on doings in meta-blog-law I should be spooked... but am not really.  Probably just because of my naive faith in the first ammendment. 

Connecting those dots and somehow in the nexus of all of that, this random press release really fascinates me. Seems that a local real estate broker is taking exception to limitations in the how some local real estate information is used.  See:

"Single Mom Pittsburgh Realtor Creates Fantastic New "2.0" Website for Pittsburgh Real Estate "

So I put that up there despite a strong aversion I have to merely passing on others' messages.  It just is really fascinating.  I actually do wish there was greater transparency in the local real estate market in a sense, though to be clear that is a different issue than the public sector transparency that is so abysmal around here.   So I have to applaud the general goal I think is expressed in that, as circuitous the verbiage is in it.  At the same time, I suspect the whole thing is overplayed.  Not sure where the "2.0" part is in the web site it is touting.  It also seems a bit gratuitous in mentioning some past legal cases.  Still, I guess someone has to take on the MLS folks if it is to change.  Just an interesting use of a PR campaign to do so.  We will have to watch whether the story plays out at all.

I just figured out why it caught my attention.  It is a 'press release' whatever that term means any longer. Almost an anachronistic concept to many.  Yet it reads much like a blog post.  Hmm...  Maybe local bloggers should be sending out press releases?  I'm sure our local media friends will love receiving those.


Anonymous MH said...

I never would have guessed so many lawyers®.

But, the single mom realtor has a site with great many similar-sounding links, most of which go to the same place. It reminds me of back before search engines got sophisticated enough to be fooled by the simpler ploys.

Tuesday, December 21, 2010 11:55:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just think of all the billable websurfing hours!

Wednesday, December 22, 2010 8:56:00 AM  
Anonymous The Wiz said...

Pittsburgh was mentioned several times yesterday on CNBC as one of the best real estate investment sites in the country. They said read more at Realitycheck.cnbc.com

Surprised its mainly lawyers, thought it would be more economists and planners. And policy wonks.

Three lawyers walk into a bar....oh wait my sister-in-law is in law school so I can't go that route now.

Wednesday, December 22, 2010 10:16:00 AM  
Anonymous n'at said...

I don't believe they're lawyers practicing law, per se. In our great society it seems we've devolved to hiring young chaps with lawyerly backgrounds so that we can say and do whatever we may choose, and not experience rational, logical or reasonable repercussions for inertial impulses and actions.

Me, I'm just a forklift driver...

Thursday, December 23, 2010 12:29:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The 2.0 is referring to the web 2.0, mainly the use of AJAX for websites (think Google Maps, GMail, Facebook, etc). Unfortunately, this press release touts this website as being Web 2.0, with very little Web 2.0 work going on, perhaps the real-estate trends? I would much rather use a site such as Trulia, which aggregates homes and trends much better.

Saturday, December 25, 2010 12:56:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home