Monday, February 14, 2011

Daily Hagiography

Quote in an article from GovMonitor today:
 “I believe that Houston – together with Pittsburgh, Baltimore, and Cleveland – could be a model for bringing job creation and economic growth to Providence and Rhode Island...."
It is talking about medical hubs for the most part. The thing is... isn't providence just down the road a bit from Boston?

But more important, the Freakonomics blurb on Ed Glaeser's new book Triumph of the City, set off my Ben Chinitz news alert.  For everyone who thinks this whole 'transformation' history has been simple, scroll down the article for where he goes into the Pittsburgh story a bit.  I guess I have to read the book.  I am told Glaeser will be on Colbert tonight. Something all urbanophiles (small U and apologies to Aaron) will be watching. 


Anonymous The Wiz said...

Mr Gleaser was on the Neil Cavuto Show on Fox News today. Alas, he didn't mention the Pittsburgh miracle.

Monday, February 14, 2011 9:54:00 PM  
Anonymous DBR96A said...

Neil Cavuto would probably have none of it anyway. He'd probably dismiss it as a bunch of "government jobs," even though Grand Rapids, MI is the only MSA among the top 100 with a smaller percentage of government jobs than Pittsburgh.

Monday, February 14, 2011 10:03:00 PM  
Blogger C. Briem said...

You know.. I thought you wrote Pittsburgh had the 2nd to highest proportion of government jobs and that wasn't right. I guess that means we are a Libertarian heaven..

Never really thought of benchmarking that... and I don't have anything for tomorrow.. Maybe I should graph that.

Monday, February 14, 2011 10:10:00 PM  
Anonymous The Wiz said...

I should have added that Cavuto wasn't there that day, Stewart Varney (?) was the guest host.

Fox News may have the video on its website.

Tuesday, February 15, 2011 9:08:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home