Tuesday, March 15, 2011

In Omnia Paratus

Friends, colleagues, regular and itinerant readers, all and sundry lurkers:

On occasion I have pondered what I would compose for the last post here. I have never gotten around to writing whatever it would be, and this is not that post. However, circumstances are that content here will be quiescent here at least indefinitely. One of my many avocations will have me more than a few time zones away for the time being (my friend, the late Clarke T. explains). For reasons both practical and otherwise I will not be posting until I return. In that this could be a relatively short period, we will have to save the long goodbye for another day. Just didn’t want anyone overly concerned if they find the content here becoming a bit stale and I hope nobody suffers any withdrawal. I suspect I will be a bit too busy to suffer withdrawal myself.

This does give me an excuse to say what has been a latent thought for some time. I truly appreciate the readers that seem to have accumulated here over time. The unique daily user count here ranges between 250 and 500 depending on the mood of the blogosphere and the exogenous news cycle. I presume some more read via content aggregators of one form or another that do not get caught in my metrics. When I started, it really was not with much intention of building an audience. In fact when I began it was almost as a closed invitation-only type of blog. I really didn’t quite imagine more than a very small number of folks would want to read my musings on all things Pittsburgh.

I’m glad I didn’t.

So now, 2,425 posts later, if I were to write it over again I don’t think I would change anything I put in Post Zero explaining my motivations here. What has changed is that I have been heartened many times by the realization that engaged folks do read here and it is possible to have a meaningful civil discourse that goes beyond the superficial. Or, as Potter once put a bit more eloquently, Discourse Without the Dis.

With that, I am sure the conversations will continue unabated. For all the angst over what blogs are, or are not, are they truly no more than an expression of, and similarly motivated by, Adams' long ago decree: "Let us dare to read, think, speak, and write." Carry on!

Take care; be safe.


Blogger Richmond K. Turner said...

Good luck, shipmate. Stay safe. And don't forget to report to Bethesda for your lobotomy when you get promoted to LCDR.

Tuesday, March 15, 2011 7:44:00 AM  
Anonymous Johnnyg said...

Godspeed, my friend.

Tuesday, March 15, 2011 7:51:00 AM  
Anonymous BrianTH said...

I am quite confident your indirect audience--people who receive insights or information originally generated here and then communicated through your readers--is far greater than your daily counts alone would imply.

So for the time being we will miss your contributions, but best of luck!

Tuesday, March 15, 2011 7:53:00 AM  
Anonymous Vannevar said...

Fair winds and following seas. Vaya con Dios!

Tuesday, March 15, 2011 8:18:00 AM  
Anonymous KenZ said...

Godspeed, Chris, and we will keep a weather eye for your return.

Tuesday, March 15, 2011 8:24:00 AM  
Anonymous Jerry said...

Daily reader via RSS, infrequent commenter here. This is usually the first Pittsburgh-related news source I check in the mornings. I'm sad to see you leaving the blogosphere, but I'll keep Nullspace on my list for your eventual return.

Tuesday, March 15, 2011 8:38:00 AM  
Anonymous MH said...

Good luck and stay safe.

Tuesday, March 15, 2011 8:52:00 AM  
Anonymous The Wiz said...

As a newbie here, first..I hope it wasn't something I said... You have a great blog with excellent info. It performed a much needed service.

Best of luck in your future endeavors and I'll be looking forward to your return.

Tuesday, March 15, 2011 11:16:00 AM  
Anonymous DBR96A said...

NOOOOO!!! Now where am I gonna get all my graphs! :(

Tuesday, March 15, 2011 11:51:00 AM  
Blogger smallstreams said...


Tuesday, March 15, 2011 6:02:00 PM  
Blogger Bram Reichbaum said...

Admiral! I quit for a while, where were you??

Bon voyage, Lieutenant Data. Make us proud.

Tuesday, March 15, 2011 6:55:00 PM  
Blogger joe said...

Safe travels Chris -

Assuming you won't be crossing the equator and making merry on board the Pittsburgh.

Tuesday, March 15, 2011 7:43:00 PM  
Anonymous n'at said...

i'll save my breath for piping the side.

Tuesday, March 15, 2011 11:46:00 PM  
Blogger RoboticGhost said...

Enough of a post to pull me from the RSS feed. If Pittsburgh can pitch in, let us know. Force be with you Cyber Yoda.

Wednesday, March 16, 2011 9:24:00 PM  
Blogger mkm1318 said...

Am I the only woman who reads this blog? :-)

Thursday, March 17, 2011 5:28:00 AM  
Blogger Ms. Monongahela, Ms. Chief Editor said...

Sorry, apparently -- and in a bit of irony -- I made that comment under my son's account, who was already logged in. That would be THE FUTURE MAYOR, btw.

Thursday, March 17, 2011 5:30:00 AM  
Anonymous The Wiz said...

I think I figured out Chris's next endeavor....he is the new PR guy for the MSC.

And I have a confession...he once asked what I had spent money on in anticipation of a gas lease..I am the one buying up all the real estate along Wood Street. Gonna locate a giant gas and oil lobbying firm there.

Thursday, March 17, 2011 1:28:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is reading without commenting really lurking? I thought it was just, you know, reading.

Friday, March 18, 2011 9:12:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home