Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Custard* Collapse Disorder

There is a lot more to this great cupcake fiasco than meets the eye. Whatever happened to the Krispy Kreme's in town?!  Can Pittsburgh be that bad a market for Krispy Kreme donuts?  I think all the actual Krispy Kreme retail outlets in town are closed. It was probably bad karma since the first Krispy Kreme in the region opened up in Cranberry on Sept 11, 2001 I recall.  They were then said to be expanding in town, but then the corporate hit big potholes and I am not sure any are KK retail stores still open in town here are there?   I mean, what is our problem?  Even Erie has a Krispy Kreme! I feel like Dr. Strangelove with a TIF joke erupting..  Down, down.

I also don't think we have made it up to the 105 Dunkin Donuts outlets we were expecting.  There seemed to be room to grow in that I once did calculate the bakeries per capita metric. That is no joke, or at least the data that I used to generate it is real. I am not sure updated data is out yet that would allow me to update that chart.  I'll have to look into that. 

I still remember when it was a Krispy Kreme that was supposedly going to open up alongside the Whole Foods in East Liberty.  That is one of those only in Pittsburgh things that it even appears to make sense to somebody, but it really was talked about; didn't happen.  So now what?  Rumors that Tim Hortons might be moving into the Burgh, but I don't think they have a beachhead yet.  Still, what is going to save the retail bakery industry?

Just one word. Are you listening?     


 (Update: Mike points out the correct spelling, 'cannoli' is the plural, though I may not be the only one getting it wrong...  I still want to know, is it stadiums or stadia? and if you are perplexed by his title, here's a hint. I''d be curious who gets the origin of the title here?)

* and for those of you who read too many blogs, you know I mean only custard-flavored custard since we never allowed 'other' flavored custards.


Anonymous MH said...

As near as I can tell, frozen yogurt is the growing treat format. I'm guessing some of those will go under also.

Wednesday, July 13, 2011 10:19:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There is a Tim Horton's in Calcutta, OH.

Wednesday, July 13, 2011 10:24:00 AM  
Anonymous MH said...

There were a bunch of Tim Horton's in Columbus, OH after Wendy's bought them. Those weren't bad donuts, but I still liked a danish better.

Wednesday, July 13, 2011 10:27:00 AM  
Anonymous n'at said...

I remember their stock split just before their introduction to the area. Got fat real fast without eating a donut.

Wednesday, July 13, 2011 10:27:00 AM  
Anonymous MH said...

Now I want to eat lunch at Dave and Andy's.

Wednesday, July 13, 2011 10:53:00 AM  
Blogger Bram Reichbaum said...

John Oliver, everybody. We'll be right back.

Wednesday, July 13, 2011 4:44:00 PM  
Blogger Mike Madison said...

@Bram: Comment of the year.

Wednesday, July 13, 2011 5:12:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why would you want more national chains? Why not support local businesses so they can stay in business? Ugh!

Wednesday, July 13, 2011 5:37:00 PM  
Blogger C. Briem said...

Exception for Canadian chains... and Paddy Cake seems to show no signs of expanding elsewhere.

Wednesday, July 13, 2011 5:49:00 PM  
Anonymous MH said...

I don't get it. Who is John Oliver?

Wednesday, July 13, 2011 6:24:00 PM  
Blogger C. Briem said...

Does MH watch the 11pm news, or is he asleep by then?

Wednesday, July 13, 2011 6:25:00 PM  
Anonymous MH said...

I only watch kids TV, cooking shows, and "How It's Made."

Wednesday, July 13, 2011 6:38:00 PM  
Blogger Bram Reichbaum said...

In all seriousness, I was just thinking Pittsburgh could be in the mood for a good new French restaurant. Aggressively French.

Deep fried frogs legs w/ barbecue sauce is an option; and it opens the door to a world where people walk around with paper cups full of crème brûlée.

Wednesday, July 13, 2011 6:57:00 PM  
Blogger C. Briem said...

The quiche at Paris 66 does not do it for you?

I, also in all seriousness, would be curious if anyone knows what happened to the crepe stand that at one time would be on the portico of the city-county bldg.

I am leery of all food topics when a more credible foodie like Mike is lurking. Though I was thinking of bringing up the whole Zagag-less Pittsburgh meme the other day just to poke at folks out there.

Wednesday, July 13, 2011 7:21:00 PM  
Anonymous MH said...

How do you make crème brûlée in a paper cup? You have to torch the top of it.

Wednesday, July 13, 2011 8:43:00 PM  
Anonymous Vance said...

Dozen has a new owner!!

Friday, August 05, 2011 10:28:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home