Saturday, July 09, 2011

Missing the cake for the frosting

See...  even now the hold of the cupcake distorts my view of the economic landscape.  All that typing and I overlook what was fundamentally was a much bigger story yesterday. 

In an earlier post I had said the governor had signed the bill that would have effectively prevented a mass reassessment in Washington County.  I had it from a couple sources that all indications were the governor would indeed sign the bill.  Turns out that was wrong and the governor vetoed the bill. I think there must be an interesting story in whatever transpired.  Either the governor changed his mind, or both branches of the legislature pushed ahead with a bill without checking whether the governor would sign it.  It seems unlikely that they would want to have the governor look bad by having to veto a bill that passed by such a large margin in both chambers. Some folks in Washington County certainly went from a feeling of elation, to probably being a bit upset and confused. 

So does the legislature try to overturn the veto?  They certainly have the votes necessary given the initial votes for the bill.  It would be interesting if they try.. or even more interesting if they don't.  Of course, at this point they might need to return from vacation if anyone expects that to happen anytime before September. 


Anonymous The Wiz said...

I believe the Governor vetoed that piece of legislation after reading my brilliant analysis of its lack of constitutionality. He wanted to save the state from an expensive litigation it could not win.

And May's Donuts in New Castle recently expanded operations to a second, downtown location. I guess that means that New Castle is experiencing an economic boom.

Sunday, July 10, 2011 10:38:00 PM  
Anonymous MH said...

I had no idea it passed by so large a margin. I wonder why it got that kind of support?

Sunday, July 10, 2011 11:22:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home