Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Jobs, and jobs again

Not anything in the news today that I see, but in general I have to admit I get confused when I read most opining on the source of job growth in the region's economy.  So below is just a straight up look at where recent job gains are coming from in the Pittsburgh region.   It's the job gains that are most likely fueling the migration gains of late which then has a big impact on local real estate markets. The big decline in 'government' jobs is of note.  Of the 3,300 government sector job loss over the year, just about half (1,600) are losses in state government jobs.  600 jobs were lost in the Federal government, 500 in local school districts and 600 in local government other than the school districts.   

The state government job losses are interesting.  I should know, but am not sure what caused the drop.  In the region state government jobs were very stable over the last decade at between 16,300 and 16,800 jobs measured in respective February period, but saw a drop to 15,200 just this year.  Did we close a bunch of state stores?


Anonymous DBR96A said...

This flies directly in the face of those who claim that Pittsburgh's economy is bolstered by government jobs.

Tuesday, April 10, 2012 2:15:00 PM  
Blogger C. Briem said...

the thing is.. isn't Pittsburgh already near last in the proportion of government jobs in the nation. I guess I should go check before I say that.

Wait.. I knew I read that somewhere.. 99 out of 100 to be precise. Yes, Ron Paul was born here.


Tuesday, April 10, 2012 3:29:00 PM  
Anonymous DBR96A said...

Yes, I've linked to that article before when people make wild assumptions that Pittsburgh is getting by on government jobs. It has a 100% success rate of shutting people up.

Next order of business is illustrating that "eds and meds" aren't the alpha and omega of the local economy.

Tuesday, April 10, 2012 6:24:00 PM  
Anonymous MH said...

I thought people assumed Pittsburgh was getting by on Medicare dollars and sunk capital.

Tuesday, April 10, 2012 8:35:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Who says that Pittsburgh depends on gov't jobs? I don't doubt that Pgh ranks low. Many metros have various sources of gov't jobs or a significant military presence etc., but not Pgh.


Tuesday, April 10, 2012 9:33:00 PM  
Anonymous BrianTH said...

Just a side note, but I suspect Pittsburgh doesn't rank quite as low in terms of jobs in the private sector supported at least in part by military contracts (and maybe government contracts in general, although I am less confident about that).

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 10:32:00 AM  
Anonymous MH said...

Pitt is #6 on the NIH grant dollar list. I also suspect that including government contracts would change the picture quite a bit.

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 12:43:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home