Thursday, June 07, 2012

To text, or not to text

I would have thought this would be viral locally by now, but seems to me lots have not heard of the legal case so much more interesting than assessments...  aka Textgate. 

In a California court a 'fan' has sued the Pittsburgh Penguins for texting him too much.  Unless this is some elaborate prank, the allegation is that despite signing up for no more than 3 texts per day, the Penguins actually sent out 5 texts one day. 

Read more via the Consumerist, but the actual court filing itself is online via Deadspin.

I will only add that I think there might be a more colorful wording for the Consumerist's poll on what people think about this.  I think the modal answer does not quite capture the sentiment of most who answered it:


Blogger Bram Reichbaum said...

In re viral: Yeah, I saw this, and I was like, "This is too ridiculous even to comment upon." If I was part of the tort-reform brigade though I suppose I'd be all over it.

Thursday, June 07, 2012 6:17:00 PM  
Anonymous MH said...

Not that I'm going to sue, but whoever tweets for the Pittsburgh marathon better scale back a bit or I'll have to drop them.

Thursday, June 07, 2012 11:17:00 PM  
Anonymous Dave Anderson said...

There was an agreement, and that agreement was violated by one party.

Yeah, the stakes are miniscule, but a lawsuit is one way to enforce contracts without "dreaded" government regulation.

Friday, June 08, 2012 10:02:00 AM  
Anonymous MH said...

Unless he tried to opt out of the texts and kept getting them, there was no harm even at a miniscule level.

Friday, June 08, 2012 10:43:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm guessing this guy wasn't on the Pitt ENS text alert list last semester...

Monday, June 11, 2012 8:42:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home