Monday, January 13, 2014

But for Lycos before it

I've decided my next career is as a cyber-industrial archaeologist. Does that occupation exist? Cleaning old files recently I came across archives from a class I taught just a dozen years ago. At the very beginning of course, I asked students some questions just to see what background they had. One question I asked was "In 10 words or less, what is your definition of 'Google'?" The answers I received included:

"It is a search engine to find information not found on Yahoo."

"something of a search method" "1 with a million zeroes"

"Something on the internet, kind of like Yahoo"

"Internet search engine; a 1 with one hundred zeros" (I wanted to give this person an A on the spot)

"A search engine that produces several sites for one topic"

And in the same box with these old questionnaires was a huge stack of cellophane overheads I had prepared for lectures.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Along similar lines, in 1998 or late 1997 I wrote a letter to the Trib, which they published, on some forgotten story and also thanking them for their website (I was living out of town) and asking what was wrong with the PG, which didn't have a website at the time (but did within a few months).

Wednesday, January 15, 2014 12:22:00 PM  
Anonymous marketdiamond said...

The PG did have a website for about a year but was just an image of their logo maybe some contact details. I had remembered it as earlier but the wayback machine confirms that as late as Jan 1998 it was still just that.

Thursday, January 16, 2014 12:07:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home